How do I repay unemployment overpayments?

Read time: 6 minutes


Repaying unemployment overpayments

You can voluntarily pay online or by mail: 

  • Pay online
  • Pay by mail by sending a check or money order to:

    Connecticut Department of Labor
    PO Box 30290
    Hartford, CT 06150

If you don’t, we collect the overpayment plus any penalties and interest from your:

  • Current unemployment benefit payments
  • Future unemployment benefit payments ("offsets")
  • Wages ("wage garnishments")
  • State and federal tax refunds

If you live in another state, we will partner with it to collect what you owe.

If you file for unemployment benefits while owing an overpayment amount, we will reduce your weekly benefit payment by:

  • 50% for non-fraudulent overpayments
  • 100% for fraudulent overpayments

Repaying overpayments