The Office of the State Building Inspector (OSBI) is responsible for:
- Connecticut State Building Code
- Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators
- Safety Code for Boilers and Hot Water Heaters
Within those activities, OSBI also:
- Works with the Codes and Standards Committee in adopting new State Building Codes and administering appeals.
- Reviews requests for code modifications, accessibility exemptions and lift/LULA use approvals.
- Provides support to local building officials, design and construction professionals, and members of the public on code questions and code interpretations.
- Carries out construction document review and field inspections on state construction projects.
- Maintains a list of prior state building codes.
In doing so, OSBI works closely with the following other offices and agencies:
- Office of the State Fire Marshal (OSFM), including on State Fire Safety Code and State Fire Prevention Code matters.
- Office of Education and Data Management (OEDM), in licensing of code officials, continuing education through in-person training classes.
- Department of Consumer Protection, which handles Contractor Licensing and eLicense Lookup.
Other related resources are: