Register to bid on items available to Municipalities:
- Fill out the State Surplus Program App for Municipalities.
- Email it to Veronica Coty. She will send you a confirmation email with the specific instructions needed to register on the auction site as a municipality.
- Once you get that confirmation, use the specified link to get to the special municipal registration page.
- Follow instructions to fill out all of the information and confirm registration.
To View and Claim State of CT Surplus Property:
To View Available Property:
- Log in to Public Surplus Opens in a new window Opens in a new window
- On the Home page, go to the ‘Browse Auctions Within Area’
a. Go to 'Select Region'
b. Use the drop down arrow to choose 'Connecticut'
- Next, go to 'Select Agency'
a. Use the drop down arrow to choose 'State of Connecticut'.
- A hyperlink will now appear below that which says 'View All Auctions for State of CT'.
a. Press the hyperlink to go to that page.
- Once on the State of CT page, look for any auctions with a yellow key next to them. This signifies it is an ‘Internal Auction’ and available for reallocation.
- Review these auctions and if you find something your agency can use, click on the auction title and review the auction details. Important Note: You will be required to pick up the property from the pickup location, and pickups are required within a reasonable timeframe (generally within a week of claiming the item(s).
To Claim Property:
- In the ‘Purchase Item’ section, click ‘Submit’ and then confirm your password to finalize the claim. Note: If the auction is listed as a Dutch auction you will also have to put in the quantity you would like to claim.
- Municipalities are charged a nominal fee for items acquired through the State Surplus Property Program. The fee schedule is $50.00 for the first item and $15.00 for each additional item. For a Lot auction, the amount total is $50. For a Dutch auction, it will follow the $50/$15 rule.
- The DAS Business Office will bill the town accordingly. You do not need to pay the bill prior to picking up your item.
Obtain the Property:
- If your claim has been accepted, you will receive a notification from Public Surplus informing you of such and confirming the property you have claimed.
- You are responsible for contacting the Agency Contact listed on your auction to make pickup arrangements.
- Pickups must be scheduled within 5 business days of a claim.
- If you do not show up for your pickup appointment and do not call to reschedule before that, you will forfeit your auction.
- When you pickup, bring your Bill of Sale and ID to your assigned pickup date and time.
- If you are sending someone else to pick up your claimed property, you must email the agency contact a letter of authorization with the name of the individual.
- You may inspect the item before signing the Bill of Sale.
- If you decide to keep the item, please sign for the property on the Bill of Sale and show your identification (which will be scanned with your Bill of Sale for our records).
- If you choose not to take the item, please write a note on the Bill of Sale stating why you do not want it.
- There are no returns for items. These properties are sold in “as is, where is” condition.