CTDOT Press Releases

CTDOT Press Release Header graphic


Click It or Ticket Campaign Starts Monday May 13

The Connecticut Department of Transportation (CTDOT), the Connecticut State Police, and local law enforcement are joining a national effort to keep motorists safe leading up to and during the Memorial Day Holiday. The Click It or Ticket national seat belt campaign, aimed at enforcing seat belt use, begins Monday, May 13 and runs through June 2, 2024.

In 2022, the last year of verifiable data, there were 11,302 unbuckled passenger vehicle occupants killed in crashes in the United States. In Connecticut in 2022, there were 74 unbuckled passengers killed in crashes.

The national seat belt use rate in 2023 was 91.9%, which is good – but it can be better. The Click It or Ticket campaign is focusing on the remaining 8.1%. Connecticut law requires all drivers and passengers in the front and back seats to wear seatbelts. Fines start at a minimum of $92 for a first offense.

“Despite steady increases in seat belt use, and evidence that shows seat belts save lives, approximately half of all passengers who die in crashes are unrestrained,” said Connecticut Department of Transportation Commissioner Garrett Eucalitto. “Law enforcement will be out on Connecticut’s roads and will be issuing tickets to those who are unbuckled. Buckling up is the easiest thing to do to limit injury or save a life if there’s a crash.”

“Your safety is non-negotiable. Buckling up is more than a habit; it's a commitment to your well-being and those around you,” said Connecticut State Police Commanding Officer Colonel Daniel Loughman. “Every time you fasten that seatbelt, you’re not just securing yourself; you're ensuring a safer journey for everyone in the vehicle. Don’t gamble with your life. It’s not just about safety; it's the law. Buckle up, every trip, every time."

“Crash-related deaths of unrestrained occupants are senseless and preventable,” said Chief Joshua Bernegger of the Connecticut Police Chiefs Association. “Buckle up, it’s the law, and Connecticut police officers will be actively enforcing it.”

For more information on the Click It or Ticket mobilization, please visit nhtsa.gov/campaign/click-it-or-ticket.


Twitter: @CTDOTOfficial
Facebook: Connecticut Department of Transportation


Share this information on: