Sell/Post Surplus Property
BEST OPTION: Copying an Auction
Using an existing auction from your agency that the DAS Surplus Program staff has approved and released, you can ‘Copy’ the auction to save you and the DAS Surplus staff time and reduce errors, and it means your auctions should be released much quicker.
- Locate the auction you want to copy (either in Current or Closed auctions – which means that the DAS Surplus staff has reviewed them and made any corrections). DAS Surplus staff adds a disclaimer to each auction description, which is a summary of the Terms and Conditions. Please do not delete this summary when revising your auction.
- Open the auction.
- On the right hand side there is an option for COPY ITEM.
- Click on [Copy Item] and the same auction will populate.
- Go through the auction and make the minor changes you need to turn this into your new auction.
- When all changes are made, click ‘Copy’ (instead of clicking ‘Save’).
- A new auction number will be generated.
To Create an Auction from the Beginning:
A. Access the Auction Creation Page
- Log in to Public Surplus with your state username and password.
- Click the "Auctions" link on the toolbar in the upper right section of the page.
- A toolbar will appear below the main toolbar. Click on the ‘Sell’ tab. You will now see a blank auction creation page. You will create the auction by completing the sections. Each section has a blue header with a question mark icon. Clicking on the icon will pull up the "help" information for that section.
- Follow the instructions below to complete each section.
B. Internal Reallocation Section
- Internal Reallocation = 4 Days and $0.00
- Municipalities = 4 Days and $50.00
- Non-Profits = 0 Days and $0.00 (unsold auctions will be relisted by DAS Surplus staff specifically for non-profits under a different auction number)
C. Public Auction Duration Section
- Time Frame - All auctions will be set for 4 days. If you would like to extend the timeframe, contact DAS State Surplus Unit staff.
- End Time - All auctions will have an end time of 8:00pm.
D. Category Section
From the drop down box, select the category the best matches your auction. If you do not see something specific, you can find the main category and choose GENERAL as your sub-category.
E. Content Section
Title - Type the title of the auction item in the "Title" box. The title should reflect what the item is, followed by limited details.
- Example 1: Desk - Corner
- Example 2: Desks - Corner ~ Lot of 2
- Example 3: Desks - Corner ~ 5 ~ Dutch Auction
- Choose appropriate template and use only if posting heavy equipment/machinery (forklifts, riding
mowers, vehicles, etc) or vehicles (when approved to go on this site)
- Type a general description of the item in the "General Description" field. This can be any
information to give buyers a clear description of the item (use format below):
- Serial #
- If there is anything wrong with the item(s)
- If it works or doesn’t work (anything you, as a buyer, would like to know before purchasing
Pictures and/or videos
- You must have a photo attached to your auction for it to be approve by DAS Surplus. A photo is for any auction, including SCRAP. An unlimited number of pictures and documents can be uploaded to the auction.
- Click on "Upload Images and Documents".
- Select the picture or document from your hard drive and click "save".
- Rearrange items as needed, following the instructions in this section. Be sure to include close-
ups of any defects on the item and clear close ups of any informational or manufacturer labels, if
there are any.
- If you have items that run (forklift, mower, etc), it is helpful to include a video of the item running.
- From the drop down box, select the “Condition” of the item. Undersell as opposed to oversell the
- If applicable, type your inventory number in this field. This is an internal number created by your
agency. You should always list your inventory tag numbers in this section. This helps when
running reports for inventory or audit purposes.
- If you have multiple tag numbers, enter the first number and use a comma followed by a space
and type the next number (ex. 1234, 1235). If the total number of characters exceeds the field (75
characters), note ‘See Description’ in the Item Code/Tag field and list the tag numbers in the
description. Do not put anything else in this field.
- Leave blank if not tagged.
F. Pickup Location and Contact Section
- Department - For most users, this field is pre-set. For anyone approved to more than one area: From the drop down menu, select the "Department" for which you are selling the property.
- Pickup Location - From the drop down menu, select the "Pickup Location". If your pickup location is not listed, refer to Section 1: Pickup Location Helpful Hints.
- Main Contact - The "Main Contact" is automatically populated with your information, and can be changed by clicking "Change Contact". An "Email Contact" can also be added (they must also be registered on the site) if there is another person you need to keep informed about the auction creation, end of auction and payment information.
G. Payment Details Section - The tax amount will be defaulted to 6.35%. Do not change it. “Tax Exempt” is an option but will rarely, if ever, be used.
I. Quantity -Based on your title, determine your quantity. A lot is multiple items and a quantity of 1. A Dutch auction is multiple items that can be purchased by different buyers. In a Dutch auction, every item must be the same and in the same condition.
- Example 1 – Single Item only: Desk, Corner = Quantity 1
- Example 2 – Lot Auction: Desks, Corner ~ Lot of 2 = Quantity 1
- Example 3 – Dutch Auction: Desks, Corner ~ 5 ~ Dutch Auction = Quantity 5
H. Minimum Bid Amount - Type the "Minimum Bid Amount" in the field. All items start at $1.00. If you feel a higher starting amount is needed, please contact DAS State Surplus Program staff to discuss.
I. Reserve Price - Not applicable – Do not enter anything here. If there is an item your agency would like to set a reserve for, please contact DAS State Surplus Program staff to discuss.
- When all appropriate fields have been completed, click the "Save" button at the bottom of the page. If a required field has not been completed, a red star will appear next to the field.
- When the auction has been saved, you will see a preview of the auction page and have the opportunity to revise or copy from the preview page.
K. ‘Held’ Section
The auction will be saved in the "Held" auction section until the auction is released. DAS Surplus Program staff will review the auction. If there is missing or incomplete information, DAS Surplus staff will make a note in the auction title, and when time permits, email the creator of the auction and ask them to revise the auction with the additional information.
When all information is complete, DAS Surplus staff will release the auction and it will now show up in the ‘Current’ auction section.
When the auction is released you will not receive notification. We ask that you check the CURRENT auctions page and when your auction is there, print it (2-sided) and attach it to your auction surplus property so anyone looking at the property has the auction details available (when the auction started and closed, as well as the auction number). This makes it easier to identify when a buyer arrives, as well as to let other agency staff know this item is no longer available for agency use.
L. Pickup Location (if needed)
If your agency has a new location, or a location change, follow these instructions to set up your Pick-Up Location on the Public Surplus site:
- Log in to Public Surplus website with your state username and password.
- Go to Tools
- Click on Pick-Up Locations and verify that your location(s) are already present. If not, go to Step 4.
- Click on the New Location link
- Create your location (be sure to use your agency name in the same format already being used, and double check to make sure the location doesn't already exist)