The Codes and Standards Committee approved the draft State Building Code and the draft State Fire Safety Code and authorized the Department of Administrative Services to proceed with administrative approval of the codes at its November 8, 2018 meeting.
The Fire Prevention Code Advisory Committee approved the draft State Fire Prevention Code and authorized the Department of Administrative Services to proceed with administrative approval or this code at its November 21, 2017 meeting.
The Department of Administrative Services previously provided notice of its intent to adopt the 2018 State Building Code, 2018 State Fire Safety Code and 2018 State Fire Prevention Code pursuant to CGS 29-252a, 29-292a, and 29-291e, respectively.
The process for approval of each of the codes is the same and includes a 45-day public comment period, a public hearing which will be held concurrently for the three codes, and a 45 day action period by Legislative Regulation Review Committee. The following are the key milestone dates for the process:
- January 2, 2018 – Notice of intent to adopt the 2018 State Building Code, 2018 State Fire Safety Code and 2018 State Fire Prevention Code. Start of the 45-day public comment period. Submission of draft codes to the Legislative Public Safety and Security Committee.
- January 24, 2018 – Public hearing for the three proposed codes – Building, Fire Safety, and Fire Prevention. Held at 10:00 AM at the Legislative Office Building, room 1A.
- February 16, 2018 – Close of the public comment period.
- February 28, 2018 – Code Amendment Subcommittee meeting to review comments and draft responses for the Building and Fire Safety Codes.
- February 28, 2018 – Fire Prevention Advisory Committee meeting to review comments and draft responses for the Fire Prevention Code.
- March 14, 2018 – Codes Amendment Subcommittee meeting for action on response to residential fire sprinkler comments.
- March 14, 2018 – Fire Prevention Advisory Committee meeting for action on final State Fire Prevention Code.
- April 11, 2018 - Codes and Standards meeting for action on final State Building Code and State Fire Safety Code.
- May 2, 2018 – Submission of Code Making Record for each code to Legislative Regulation Review and Public Safety and Security Committees.
- May 24, 2018 - Legislative Review Committee meeting - drafts rejected without prejudice.
- May 31, 2018 – End of Legislative Regulation Review Committee approval period.
- June 21, 2018 - Deadline for agency to resubmit code and responses to Committee comments.
- July 24, 2018 - All three draft codes approved at Legislative Regulation Review Committee meeting.
- August 5, 2018 - End of Legislative Regulation Review Committee approval period.
- October 1, 2018 – Anticipated adoption date of the 2018 Connecticut State Building Code, 2018 State Fire Safety Code and 2018 State Fire Prevention Code.
The agendas and minutes for the Codes Amendment Subcommittee can be found on the Codes and Standards Committee web page.