P-Card Information for State Employee Cardholders

How To

Report a Card Lost or Stolen

Lost/Stolen Card – immediately call the bank 1-800-316-6056


Active State Employees can be issued a P-Card.  The P-Card will have no impact on your personal credit. Although the P-Card lists an individual's name, it is a corporate card issued to the State of Connecticut. 

You are getting a State of Connecticut P-Card – Now What?

  1. Fill out State Of Connecticut P-Card Cardholder Profile Form  MS Word version / PDF version
  2. Issue P-Card/Training
    - Your Agency P-Card Coordinator will issue your card and train you on how to use it.
    Review, sign and comply with the State of Connecticut Credit Card Use Policy
    Review and comply with the State of Connecticut P-Card Cardholder Work Rules
    Review your Agency P-card procedures – these are specific to your agency

Receive and Get Started with Your New Chip Card: 

  1. Verify that all information is correct.
  2. Read the materials enclosed with your card. It is important to familiarize yourself with how the card will work, as it will likely vary from other chip cards. 
  3. Sign the back of your card. (If department card, sign “SEE EMPLOYEE ID”).
  4. Call the number on the activation label to activate your card and set your PIN (personal identification number). 

Activate your Chip P-Card

You will be prompted for security information. (If department card, the custodian activates the card with his/her information.)  The automated system will ask for: 

  • 16-digit card number
  • CVV (three digit code) on the back of your card
  • Access Code (the last four digits of your Employee ID number) 

Create the PIN

  • Customizable 4 digit code (different from Access Code) 
  • Choose a 4 digit code that you will remember
  • Remember your PIN! 

Agency Procedures

Please refer to your agency procedures for information regarding your agency’s P-Card Program.

Use the P-Card

Purchase approved goods at the point of sale, over the phone, Internet, by fax or by mail and in accordance with State procurement policies and protocols including the use of State Contracts.

  1. Identify: Identify if the purchase is appropriate for the P-Card by determining if your transaction total is less than your card limit. If not, the purchase must be processed in accordance with established procurement policy and procedures.
  2. Contract: Determine if the item you need is available from a State contract. If the item you are ordering is available from a State contract supplier, the order must be placed with the State contract supplier. Always use the State contract unless it cannot meet your business need in terms of delivery time. See "Contract Compliance."
  3. Contact: Call or go to the vendor's place of business and place the order. If calling, advise the vendor that you are calling from the State of Connecticut and you will be making a MasterCard Purchasing Card purchase. Emphasize that it is a tax-exempt purchase. Please note: the tax-exempt number is imprinted on the card under the cardholder name. However, this information is not automatically passed to the vendor through the magnetic strip. 
  4. Order: Give the vendor the account number and expiration date on your P-Card. Important: Tell the vendor that the address label/packing slip that accompanies the package must contain the following information; cardholder's name, agency name, building and room number, street and city address. Packages that are not labeled as described may delay the delivery of items ordered indefinitely. Under no circumstances should the vendor indicate the Purchasing Card number on any address label or packing list. Listing this information would threaten the security of your card. Inform the vendor not to send a bill or invoice to the ordering department or your business office. Submitting an invoice for a charge card transaction may result in a duplicate payment.
  5. Record: Enter the purchase transaction information on the cardholder's Purchase Log. See "Completion of the Purchase Log."
  6. Retain: Retain all documentation pertaining to the purchase. See "Proof of Purchase Documentation." 
  7. Inspect: Inspect the shipment when it is received or picked up. In case of returns, the cardholder is responsible for coordinating the return directly with the supplier. 

Contract Compliance
The P-Card is a purchasing and payment too.  All State procurement policies and protocols must be followed when purchasing, including the use of State contracts.

Complete the Purchase Card Log Sheet 
The Purchase Card Log Sheet, CO-501 has been preprinted on an envelope for the convenience of maintaining all documentation related to P-Card transactions. Cardholders are responsible for recording each transaction on this log, and retaining all documentation in this envelope*. A new envelope should be used for each billing cycle. If more lines are needed for a particular billing cycle, please make a copy of the Purchase Log and attach it to the envelope. 

*The Purchase Log Envelope was developed and intended for the convenience of reconciliation and ease of auditing. Use of the Purchase Log Envelope is strongly recommended. However, agency procedures may differ from this process if compensatory controls are already in place. Please refer to your agency procedures for information regarding the Purchase Log Envelope. 

Retain Receipts and Invoices for your transactions
Documentation must support the business purpose of all transactions made with the P-Card.

Reconcile your statement
Compare each transaction on the Payment Net statement with each transaction on the Purchase Log. If a transaction recorded on the Purchase Log does not appear on the statement, put a line through the transaction. Copy this transaction to the Purchase Log for reconciliation in the next month's billing cycle.

The Purchase Log Envelope** must be signed by the cardholder as proof of reconciliation and then approved and signed by the cardholder's reviewer. After proper signatures are attained, it should be forwarded to the agency's business office with the original Payment Net statement and the original receipts inside, by the last day of the month. 

**Agency procedures may differ on the use of the Purchase Log Envelope. Please see "Completion of the Purchase Log" for more information. 

Compromised card
You may be contacted by JPMorgan Chase Bank by phone or email to notify you that your card has been compromised.  The bank representative will verify the last transactions that were made on your card, and they will advise you that your card will be blocked (inactivated) and reissued (replacement new account number) and a new plastic will be sent to the P-Card Administrator.  Replacement cards are not mailed to the cardholder.

Report fraud
Call the number on the back of the card: 1-800-316-6056 and tell the customer service representative that you would like to report fraud.  You will be transferred to the fraud unit which is open 24/7.

Dispute a transaction
Contact the vendor and try to resolve the issue.  If this does not work, use the Transaction Dispute Form, which can be called in to the bank using the number on the back of the card: 1-800-316-6056 and tell the customer service representative that you would like to dispute a transaction.  You will be transferred to the dispute unit. 

Replacement card
Issued when a card has been reported lost/stolen/compromised or if the card is damaged and a new plastic is issued.  A new plastic will be sent to the P-Card Administrator.  Replacement cards are not mailed to the cardholder.

Renew card
Issued when the plastic card is going to expire.  A new plastic with new expiration dates will be sent to the P-Card Administrator.  Replacement cards are not mailed to the cardholder.  The renew card will need to be activated.