How ToSurplus/Reallocate State of CT Surplus Computers, Laptops & Hard Drives Surplus computers, laptops and hard drives are those items with life left in them. Items that are considered 'obsolete' by State Agencies may still be useful to non-profits, so as long as these items work, even if they do not have a hard drive, they should be put on as Surplus for potential reallocation.
Please note: The steps below will look familiar to anyone who has posted on the Public Surplus website. The difference is in how we record these specific items, and who they can be offered to.
- Fill out the Surplus of Computer-Laptop-Hard Drive form. Follow the instructions on the top of the form.
a. For Suplus (useable) computers, laptops and hard drives, you should only put 1 make and model on each form/auction.
b. If there are multiples, it will always be a Dutch Auction, allowing the agencies/organizations the option to choose only the number of items that they need.
Once your form is complete, you are ready to enter the auction on Public Surplus.
BEST OPTION: Copying an Auction
Using an existing auction from your agency that the DAS Surplus Program staff has approved and released, you can ‘Copy’ the auction to save you and the DAS Surplus staff time and reduce errors, and it means your auctions should be released much quicker.
- Locate the auction you want to copy (either in Current or Closed auctions – which means that the DAS Surplus staff has reviewed them and made any corrections). DAS Surplus staff adds a disclaimer to each auction description, which is a summary of the Terms and Conditions. Please do not delete this summary when revising your auction.
- Open the auction.
- On the right hand side there is an option for COPY ITEM.
- Click on [Copy Item] and the same auction will populate.
- Go through the auction and make the minor changes you need to turn this into your new auction.
- When all changes are made, click ‘Copy’ (instead of clicking ‘Save’).
- A new auction number will be generated.
To Create an Auction from the Beginning:
A. Access the Auction Creation Page
- Log in to Public Surplus with your state username and password.
- Click the "Auctions" link on the toolbar in the upper right section of the page.
- A toolbar will appear below the main toolbar. Click on the ‘Sell’ tab. You will now see a blank auction creation page. You will create the auction by completing the sections. Each section has a blue header with a question mark icon . Clicking on the icon will pull up the "help" information for that section.
- Follow the instructions below to complete each section.
B. Internal Reallocation Section
- Internal Reallocation = 4 Days and $0.00
- Municipalities = 4 Days and $50.00
- Non-Profits = 4 Days and $0.00
C. Public Auction Duration Section
- Time Frame = Not for Public Auction
- End Time - All auctions will have an end time of 8:00pm.
D. Category Section
From the drop down box, select the category the best matches your auction. If you do not see something specific, you can find the main category and choose GENERAL as your sub-category. Ex.: Computer - PC
E. Content Section
- Title - Type the title of the auction item in the "Title" box. The title should reflect what the item is, followed by limited details. Anything being surplussed in this category will either be a single (1), or a Dutch Auction (one auction with multiple of the same item available)
- Example 1: Laptop - Dell
- Example 2: Laptops - Dell ~ 5 ~ Dutch Auction
- General Description
- Type a general description of the item in the "General Description" field. This can be any information to give buyers a clear description of the item (use format below):
- See Attached for complete details.
- Standard DAS disclaimer:
***Buyers MUST make a pick-up appointment by contacting the seller ahead of time and receiving a date AND time confirmation. Buyers who come unconfirmed, without their receipt, or without their ID for validation WILL NOT be able to receive their item(s). All three of these criteria need to be met before the item(s) can be released. It is the BUYER'S obligation to contact the seller; if no contact is made within the 5 day time limit the auction will be forfeited and NO REFUND will be issued.
***Buyer must pick up or arrange for all shipping, including providing proper vehicles, equipment and manpower required to pickup and load items (Boxing, Packaging and Shipping, as well, if item is to be shipped)
Pictures and/or Videos and Documents
- You must have a photo attached to your auction for it to be approve by the DAS State Surplus Program. A photo is for any auction, including SCRAP. An unlimited
number of pictures and documents can be uploaded to the auction.
- Click on "Upload Images and Documents".
- Select the completed Surplus of Computer-Laptop-Hard Drive form and upload it to the auction.
- Select the corresponding picture(s) from your hard drive and click "SAVE".
- Rearrange items as needed, following the instructions in this section. Be sure to include close-ups of any defects, and clear close ups of any informational or manufacturer labels, if there are any.
- From the drop down box, select the “Condition” of the item. Undersell as opposed to oversell the items.
- If applicable, type your inventory number in this field. This is an internal number created by your agency. You should always list your inventory tag numbers in this section. This helps when running reports for inventory or audit purposes.
- If you have multiple tag numbers, use a comma after the number followed by a space and type the next number (ex. 1234, 1235). If the total number of characters exceeds the field (75 characters), note ‘See Attached’ in the Item Code/Tag field. Do not put anything else in this field.
- Leave blank if not tagged.
F. Pickup Location and Contact Section
- Department - For most users, this field is pre-set. For anyone approved to more than one area: From the drop down menu, select the "Department" for which you are selling the property.
- Pickup Location - From the drop down menu, select the "Pickup Location". If your pickup location is not listed, refer to Section B: Add a Pickup Location.
- Main Contact - The "Main Contact" is automatically populated with your information, and can be changed by clicking "Change Contact". An "Email Contact" can also be added (they must also be registered on the site) if there is another person you need to keep informed about the auction creation, end of auction and payment information.
G. Payment Details Section - The tax amount will be defaulted to 6.35%. Do not change it. “Tax Exempt” is an option but will rarely, if ever, be used.
H. Quantity -Based on your title, determine your quantity. A Dutch auction is multiple items that can be purchased by different buyers. In a Dutch auction, every item must be the same (hence same make/model) and in the same condition.
- Example 1 – Single Item only: Laptop - Dell = Quantity 1
- Example 2 – Dutch Auction: Laptops - Dell ~ 5 ~ Dutch Auction = Quantity 5
I. Minimum Bid Amount - Type the "Minimum Bid Amount" in the field. All items start at $1.00.
J. Reserve Price - Not applicable – Do not enter anything here.
- When all appropriate fields have been completed, click the "SAVE" button at the bottom of the page. If a required field has not been completed, a red star will appear next to the field.
- When the auction has been saved, you will see a preview of the auction page and have the opportunity to revise or copy from the preview page.
L. ‘Held’ Section
The auction will be saved in the "Held" auction section until the auction is released. DAS State Surplus Program staff will review the auction. If there is missing or incomplete information, Surplus staff will email the creator of the auction and ask them to revise the auction with additional information.
When all information is complete, DAS Surplus staff will release the auction and it will now show up in the ‘Current’ auction section.
When the auction is released you will not receive notification. We ask that you check the CURRENT auctions page and when your auction is there, print it (2-sided) and attach it to your auction surplus property so anyone looking at the property has the auction details available (when the auction started and closes, as well as the auction number). This makes it easier to identify when a buyer arrives, as well as to let other agency staff know this item is no longer available for agency use.
To Add Pickup Location (if needed)
If your agency has a new location, or a location change, follow these instructions to set up your Pick-Up Location on the Public Surplus site:
- Log in to Public Surplus website with your state username and password.
- Go to Tools
- Click on Pick-Up Locations and verify that your location(s) are already present. If not, go to Step 4.
- Click on the New Location link
- Create your location (be sure to use your agency name in the same format already being used, and double check to make sure the location doesn't already exist)