Privacy and Security Best Practices
The Commission encourages schools, libraries, universities, and municipalities to design, implement, and follow a robust privacy and security program. While hundreds of programs and frameworks exist, the following resources should help institutions begin to address the including leadership, physical and network security, procurement, and training aspects of a privacy and security program.
- Multi-State Information Sharing and Analysis Center (MS-ISAC): Provided through the Center for Internet Security, MS-ISAC offers security threat alerts as well as training resources for staff and students.
- National Advisory Council on Cyber Security: A collection of best practices designed to address all aspects of privacy and security for K – 12 districts of all sizes.
- SANS Institute: A global leader in providing information security training and certification.
- STOP. THINK. CONNECT: Developed in partnership with the federal government, the site equips institutions with the training and awareness materials to help students and citizens stay safer and more secure online.
- Trusted Learning Environment: Developed by the Consortium for School Networking (CoSN) in partnership with other national educational leadership organizations, this framework equips districts pursue certification that demonstrates excellence in all aspects of security.