Publishing an Item
As a System Administrator, you have the ability to Publish items to the website using the Publish Content icon. This Publish function will publish the following items:
- Content Folders
- Navigation Items
- Homepage Sections
- Dynamic Lists
- Document Files
NOTE: This Publish Content function does NOT apply to Pages assigned a workflow. To publish a page with a workflow, visit the By-Pass Approval Process.
Publish Content Method
- From the ribbon, select the Publish tab.
- Select the Publish Content icon.
- A Publish Item window will open with publishing options. Ensure the following options are selected:
- Smart Publish - This will publish all new changes made.
- Publish subitems - This will publish all pages under a folder.
- Publish related items - This will publish any dependent files linked to page(s) being published, such as images and document files.
- Publish language: English
- Publish targets: Internet (web)
- Select Publish.
- A confirmation window will open asking if you are sure you want to publish the items.
- Select OK.
- A dialog box will appear indicating items are being published. Once complete, it will show the results.
- Select Close when done. The item(s) is now published.
Publishing needs to happen when one of three actions take place to an item: creation, modification, or deletion. A majority of items require a manual publish by the System Administrator while some are automatically published once approved. Below is a breakdown:
The following items are automatically published:
- Approved Pages
- Images and Document files inserted on an Approved Page
The following items require manual publishing by the System Administrator:
Blurbs (External Links)
Pages (not assigned a workflow)
- Initial creation of a Page
- Changing Existing Pages *
- Un-publishing a Page
- Deleting a Page
- Deleting Pages linked to other items
Images and Documents
- Uploading Images
- Uploading Document Files
- Changing Image properties *
- Overwriting a Document File
- Deleting Images or Document Files
Content Approver Lists
Recycle Bin Restore
* Changes to any of the following actions include updates to content, hyperlinks, metadata, teaser/description, page file/title name, document/image file name, tagging, images, alt. text on an image, and dynamic list filtering options.