How to Apply for Services

How do I apply for Department of Developmental Services (DDS) Supports and Services?

People at any age can apply, as long as there is documentation that an intellectual disability existed prior to age 18.

Complete a HIPAA form and two page application form, which can be obtained via website at (, by calling toll free (866) 433-8192 or (860) 418-6117 if you are out of state, or emailing

In addition to the HIPAA form and application, the applicant is required to submit a copy of his/her birth certificate, medical insurance card, Social Security card, last three IEPs, IQ and adaptive scores, and medical records. 

Release of information forms are provided in the application.  A signed release of information form allows the applicant’s health care provider, school, etc. to send the applicant’s records to DDS.  The applicant must send signed release of information forms directly to the provider from whom records are requested.

Once all documents are received, then an eligibility decision can be made.

For individuals applying for services from the Autism Spectrum Disorder Program housed at the Department of Social Services (DSS), results from a standardized test of autism are required in addition to the documents specified above.