Drug Control Division
March 14, 2020: Executive Order No. 7B
- Waiver of manufacturer registration for hand sanitizer at pharmacies
- Suspension of garbing requirements for non-hazardous compounding of sterile pharmaceuticals
March 21, 2020: Executive Order No. 7I
- Modification to DCP regulations regarding pharmacies
- Permits a pharmacist to refill certain prescriptions for 30 days
March 22, 2020: Executive Order No. 7J
- Delivery of methadone to homebound patients by methadone maintenance clinics
- Out-of-State Pharmacists, Pharmacies and Pharmacy Interns are included in this order
March 24, 2020: Executive Order No. 7L
- Flexibility to maintain adequate medical marijuana access for patients
March 27, 2020: Executive Order No. 7O
- Waiver of registration requirement for alcohol-based hand sanitizer and medical devices
April 29, 2020: Executive Order No. 7GG
- Temporary suspension of the Controlled Substance Registration requirement for out-of-state practitioners
May 8, 2020 Executive Order No 7KK
- Permits pharmacists to order COVID-19 tests
- All licenses and registrations under Chapter 400j are included in this order.
- Implementation Order for Hand Sanitizer and Sterile Garbing
- Implementation Order for Methadone
- Waiver of Certain Pharmacy Regulations
- Refill/reissue prescriptions of Schedule II Medications
- Remote Data Entry and Remote Verification
- Garbing Guidance
- Automated Dispensing Machine Filling
- Transfer of Drugs For Hospital Pharmacy and Licensed Pharmacy
- Dispensing of Medication from Hospitals (20-622)
- Essential Safe Store Rules (DECD)
- Business Resources
- Medication Shortage Resources
- Sterile Compounding Guidance Document 4-2020
- Pharmacist Role in COVID-19 testing (New)
Live Chat is now available for the Drug Control Division during normal business hours. Please be aware that the individual you are speaking with may direct you to different parts of the Drug Control Division to assist you with your question. In certain instances, you may be asked to provide a phone number or email address so that the appropriate individual can review your question and respond accordingly.
Licenses, Registrations, Permits, etc. - Find all of the types of Licenses, Registration, Permits that are a part of the Drug Control Division and more.
Commission of Pharmacy - Find meeting minutes, members and other pharmacy related information and more.
Pharmacy Complaints - Learn how to file a complaint about a pharmacy.
Preventing Prescription/Medication Errors - Find tips for protecting yourself against prescription/medication errors.
Prescription Monitoring Program - Find information about the Connecticut Prescription Monitoring and Reporting System and more.
Medical Marijuana Program - Registration, practitioners information, qualifying conditions, frequently asked questions and more.
Registrant Resources and Guidance Documents - Find documents that may be help for different disciplines regulated by the Drug Control Division.
Law Enforcement Resources - Find general information about medication, charges and more.
Statutes and Regulations - Find law information regarding the laws that pertain to the Drug Control Division.Certificate of Free Sale - Click here for the certificate of free sale documents required by the Drug Control Division.
Latest News/Quick Resource
Updated:Suspicious Order Monitoring
- Public Act 19-191
An Act Addressing Opioid Use
- Section 1: Pharmacist Counseling
- Section 3: Pharmacy Technician Delegate in the Connecticut Prescription Monitoring and Reporting System
- Section 4: Suspicious Order Monitoring
- Section 6: Pain Agreements/Care Plan for Treatment of Pain with Opioids for Greater than 12 weeks
- Section 7: Naloxone at Institutions of Higher Education
- Public Act 19-19 An Act Concerning Epinephrine Auto Injectors (Effective From Passage)
- Public Act 19-177 An Act Making Changes to Department of Consumer Protection Enforcement Statutes
- Section 28: Sterile Compounding
- Section 29: Pharmacy to report legal action commenced by federal or state agency
- Section 30: Classification of Connecticut Controlled Substances
- Section 31: Marijuana Products Schedule Changes
- Public Act 19-98 An Act Concerning the Scope of Practice of Advanced Practice Registered Nurses
- Section 22 and 23: Advanced practice registered nurses and collaborative drug therapy management
- Public Act 19-38 An Act Concerning Increasing the Penalties for Sale of Fentanyl
- Public Act 19-13 An Act Concerning the Sale of Cigarettes, Tobacco Products, Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems and Vapor Products to Persons Under Age Twenty-One
- Public Act 18-166 (Effective 7/1/2018)
- Section 2: Self and Family Prescribing of Controlled Substances Limitation
- Section 3: Naloxone Distribution Agreements
- Public Act 18-148 (Effective 7/1/18)
- Section 1: Telehealth - expansion to add controlled substances for a psychiatric disability or substance use disorder
- Section 2: Prevents practitioners using telehealth from receiving a waiver from electronic prescribing of controlled substances
- Public Act 18-74 (Effective 10/1/2018) - Biologic products
- Public Act 18-16 (Effective 1/1/19)
- Section 1: Penalty per violation of the chapter
- Section 2: Fees for filing changes for Non-Resident Pharmacies
- Section 3: Suspicious order reporting for Manufacturers and Wholesalers
- Section 4: Annually controlled substance inventory
- Section 5: Perpetual inventory for Schedule II medications with monthly reconciliation
- Section 6: Sterile compounding
- Public Act 17-131 An Act Preventing Prescription Opioid Diversion and Abuse
- Section 1: Data Sharing
- Section 2: Drug destruction
- Section 3: Electronic Prescribing of Controlled Substances
- Section 4: Voluntary nonopioid directive form
- Section 5: Prescribing of Opioids update
- Section 6: Medication assisted treatment
- Section 12: Naloxone standing order
- Public Act No. 16-43 An Act Concerning Opioids and Access to Overdose Reversal Drugs.
- Section 1: Naloxone prescribing, dispensing and administration update
- Section 7: Prescribing of Opioids (7 day limit)
- Section 8: Agent of the prescriber (Prescription Monitoring Program)
- Section 9: Prescription Monitoring Program (daily reporting, veterinary uploads, agent of the prescriber)
- Manufacturer APRN Expenditure Reporting
Brochure: Medication Drop-Box Program
HYDROCODONE MOVES TO SCHEDULE II
Prescriptions issued before October 6, 2014: October 6, 2014/April 8, 2015 : Any prescriptions for HCPs that are issued before October 6, 2014, and authorized for refilling, may be dispensed in accordance with 21 CFR 1306.22-1306.23, 1306.25, and 1306.27, if such dispensing occurs before April 8, 2015.
Prescriptions issued on or after October 6, 2014 : October 6: 2014 : No prescription for HCPs issued on or after October 6, 2014 shall authorize any refills.
Source: Federal Register
Authority: 21 U.S.C. 829(a); 21 CFR part 1306 and subpart C of 21 CFR part 1311.