What are Connecticut's certification requirements for school counselors?

Read time: 6 minutes


Certification Requirements for School Counselors (#068)

Thank you for exploring how to become a school counselor in Connecticut. Here are the requirements for certification:

  • Master's degree
  • Institutional recommendation based on completion of a state-approved graduate-level certification program specific to school counseling at a regionally accredited college or university. Your coursework must include 30 semester hours of graduate credit in a planned program in school counseling services, including course work in each of the following areas:
    • Principles and philosophy of developmental guidance and counseling
    • Psychological and sociological theory as related to children
    • Career development theory and practice
    • Individual and group counseling procedures
    • Organizational patterns and relationships of pupil personnel services to total school program and community
    • Pupil appraisal and evaluation techniques
    • School-based consultation theory and practice
  • A professional educator certificate, or (holds or is eligible for) an initial educator certificate and 30 school months of successful teaching experience, or a 10-month full-time supervised school counseling internship
  • Evidence of a progression of supervised laboratory and practicum experiences in school counseling
  • A course of study in special education comprised of not fewer than 36 clock hours, which includes study in understanding the growth and development of exceptional children, including handicapped and gifted and talented children and children who may require special education, and methods for identifying, planning for and working effectively with special-needs children in the regular classroom.

IMPORTANT: To eventually advance a certificate endorsed for School Counselor to the professional level, candidates must complete at least 45 semester hours of graduate credit in counseling and related areas. This may include coursework required for the initial educator certificate.


Please note that requirements may change without notice.


Special Services