How do CT retired teachers avoid a lapse in certification?

Read time: 6 minutes

Avoiding a lapse in your Connecticut teaching certification when retiring or taking a break

Stay Connected to CT

Even if you are retiring, moving out of state, or taking a leave from your teaching career, it is a good idea to maintain your Connecticut certification.

It is much easier to maintain certification than it is to reestablish a certificate once it lapses. After a lapse, you may be subject to new testing and course work requirements or lose an endorsement altogether if it becomes obsolete.

Avoiding a Lapse

The quickest and easiest way to apply and pay is online using the Connecticut Educator Certification System (C.E.C.S.).

If you prefer to apply with a paper-based application, you may submit a paper ED 170 application. If you are unsure if you need to submit additional documentation, you may apply up to six months before the certificate's expiration date so that the Bureau of Certification has enough time to process your application and contact you.

The nonrefundable application review fee is $50. You will be notified of the balance of the certification fee once it is determined. The payment information and mailing address for paper-based applications is located at the top of the form.

By submitting an application before the expiration of your certificate, the certification is considered in process, pending materials and final evaluation. As long as the application includes the original signature of the applicant and the $50 fee, the application is considered timely and additional signatures or application forms, supporting documents, and the final fee may be submitted later by mail. Please allow 10-12 business days for mail to reach our office.

Retiring Teachers

Many retired teachers choose to keep their certificates active after they retire. Retired teachers may find job opportunities that lead to work in a school district, such as substitute teaching or tutoring. Most educators find that keeping their certificates active is simple and worthwhile. There is currently no fee or CEU requirement for holders of professional certificates.

If you have a professional educator certificate, you must apply online or submit a completed paper ED 179 application for the continuation of a professional educator certificate before the expiration date. You may submit the application up to six months before the expiration date.

There is no fee to renew a professional educator certificate and you are no longer required to submit any documentation from your district.

If you hold any other level of certification and are unsure how to maintain your certificate, you can apply online from your account on the C.E.C.S. portal or submit a paper ED 170 application before the expiration date on the certificate. You will be contacted with additional instructions.

CT Certified Educators