How do special services personnel from other states apply for Connecticut certification?

Read time: 6 minutes


Applying for a special services certificate

Speech and language pathologists, school counselors, school psychologists, school marriage and family therapists, school social workers, school nurse-teachers, and school dental hygienist-teachers from most states submit the forms and documentation listed below to become certified.

If you are from Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Virginia, Vermont, or Washington, DC, please follow this process.

We will process your completed application in 2-3 months. During the review process, we’ll determine whether to issue an initial or provisional certificate.

1. Application Form

Complete the online or paper-based ED 170 application. Include your nonrefundable $50 application review payment.

Important: We don’t accept personal checks. If you apply by mail, please pay with a cashier’s check, certified bank check, or money order made payable to: Treasurer, State of Connecticut.

2. Official Transcripts

Official transcript(s) with the degree and conferral date noted on the transcript can be sent in two ways:

  • You or the university can mail it to us in its unopened original envelope
  • The university can email your electronic transcript to

3. Current Certification

Submit a copy of your valid out-of-state educator certificate (temporary, emergency, or interim certificates will not be accepted).

4. Official Statements

Submit a completed and signed ED 125 - Statement of Preparing Higher Education Program or ED 126 - Statement of Professional Experience based on your professional experience. 

Submit ED 125 if you are a recent graduate or have less than 20 school months of successful service in the last 10 years under a valid out-of-state certificate.

Submit ED 126 if you have 20 or more school months of successful service in another state in the last 10 years under a valid out-of-state certificate. You may obtain a higher level of certification known as an eight-year provisional educator certificate.

Important: School social workers do NOT need to submit either of these forms. 

5. Speech and Language Pathologist License

All speech and language pathologists applying for certification must submit a copy of their valid professional license.


IMPORTANT: We do NOT accept copies, scans, or email versions of forms requiring original signatures. We accept only original versions of forms with original signatures.



Special Services