NOTICE: Coronavirus Guidance for School Districts: Per Governor’s executive order, in-school class cancellations remain in effect through the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year.

Emergency Meal Programs: The State Department of Education is authorizing two distinct categories of COVID-19 Emergency Meal Programs in accordance with federal requirements: 1) COVID-19 Emergency Meal Program Limited to Students Attending School in Specific Districts. School districts on this list are only authorized to serve meals to students attending their schools, and any other child age 18 years or younger residing in the same household; 2) COVID-19 Community-wide Emergency Meal Program for Children. Any child age 18 years or younger can receive meal(s) at any meal service and distribution sites in these towns/cities. They do not have to be a resident or attend school in these towns/cities. Check these links often as more locations continue to be added.

Maintaining, Renewing & Upgrading your Connecticut Certification

Maintaining, Renewing & Upgrading an Initial Educator Certificate and FAQs

Maintaining, Renewing & Upgrading a Provisional Educator Certificate and FAQs

Continuation of a Professional Educator Certificate & FAQs

Certificate Renewal Application Process

Certificate Upgrade Application Process

Retired Teachers

Avoiding a Lapse in Certification

Even if you are retiring, moving out of state or taking a leave from your teaching career, it is a good idea to maintain your Connecticut certification. It is much easier to maintain than it is to reestablish once a certificate lapses. After a lapse, you may be subject to new testing and coursework requirements, or lose an endorsement altogether if it becomes obsolete. If you are unsure of what forms are required, you may submit an application and fee prior to the expiration date on a certificate (up to six months prior), to find out what additional documentation or forms are required. The quickest and easiest way to apply is online via the Connecticut Educator Certification System (CECS). Then you may pay the fee with a MasterCard or Visa. But if you prefer, you may submit a paper ED 170 General Application with a certified bank check or money order. Either way, the nonrefundable application review fee is $50. You will be notified of the balance of the certification fee once it is determined.

By submitting an application before the expiration of your certificate, the certification is considered in process, pending materials and final evaluation. As long as the application includes the original signature of the applicant and the minimum fee of $50 in the appropriate form, the application is considered timely, and additional signatures or application forms, supporting documents and final fee may be submitted later by US mail. Please allow 10-12 business days for mail to reach our office.