(What to do before the expiration of your certification)
To qualify for renewal/recertification an applicant must renew on or before
the expiration date of the certification. If the certification is not renewed within 90 days of the expiration date, the certification will become void and or expire and as a result the applicant can no longer practice as an EMS provider
(Please see reinstatement requirements
). To qualify for renewal/recertification an applicant shall meet one of the following requirements:
- Applicants must complete an approved refresher-training course with a minimum of 53 hours. Refresher training courses shall include both written and practical testing; or
- Complete one out-of-state refresher training course with a minimum of 30 hours over the lifetime of the certificate which may be accepted in lieu of a refresher training course required by this department provided: (i) the applicant is currently certified as an AEMT for AEMT recertification or as a person entitled to perform similar services under a different designation in another state; (ii) the refresher training program is equal to the refresher training program required by this department; and (iii) the refresher training program is approved by the appropriate regulatory body of such other state.
It is recommended that applicants take the approved refresher course within six months of the expiration date of the certification. Please note that applicants will not receive credit for a refresher course that is completed more than one year before of the expiration of the certification.
- Download and complete application for AEMT recertification. PLEASE NOTE: this application is a fillable pdf. In order for all the features to be fully functional, click the link to open the file, save it to your computer, then open it in Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- AEMT Training Program Completion Form verifying completion of an approved refresher course directly from your instructor if course was completed in Connecticut.
- If course was not completed in Connecticut, applicant needs to ensure a completed Verification of Out-of-State EMS Training Course form is submitted, directly from the instructor.
All supporting documentation should be sent from the primary source (state, territory, instructor).