To understand your auto insurance purchase, you should be familiar with a few terms.

Liability Insurance

Liability Insurance

Liability insurance covers injuries to other people and damage to their property if you or someone you let drive your car causes an accident. Bodily harm liability must be at least $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident. Property damage liability must be at least $25,000 per accident. Still, it is a good idea to think about raising the limits.

Uninsured / Underinsured Insurance

This insurance covers you, your relatives who live with you, and your passengers if they get hurt in an accident caused by another driver. The driver at fault must have no insurance or lower liability insurance than your uninsured/underinsured motorist limits. It also covers you if the other driver hits you and leaves the scene. The standard coverage is equal to your bodily injury liability coverage. You can buy extra coverage up to twice the amount of your bodily injury liability coverage. You must have at least $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident by law.
Underinsured Motorist Conversion Coverage

Underinsured Motorist Conversion Coverage

This is extra insurance that covers costs that are higher than what the at-fault driver's insurance pays. Payments from any other source do not decrease this optional coverage.

Here's an example. Your uninsured/underinsured coverage is $300,000, and you suffer $400,000 in personal injury damages caused by another driver. The driver only has $200,000 in bodily injury liability insurance. With standard coverage, you can only collect $200,000 from the other driver's insurance plus $100,000 from your own underinsured coverage due to your $300,000 limit. If you had conversion coverage, you could get $200,000 from your underinsured policy to cover the $400,000 total.
Basic Reparations or Medical Payments Coverage

Basic Reparations or Medical Payments Coverage

This coverage pays for medical bills if you or a family member who lives with you gets hurt in a car accident or dies as a result. In some cases, missed wages and funeral costs are also covered under this insurance. Although this coverage used to be required, it is now optional.
Collison Coverage

Collision Coverage

Collision coverage pays for damage to your car due to it hitting another car or object or if it flips over. There is usually a deductible amount you must pay out of pocket if you get it fixed or replace the car.
Comprehensive Coverage

Comprehensive Coverage

Comprehensive coverage pays for damage to your car that wasn't caused by a crash. This includes damage from:
  • Theft
  • Vandalism
  • Animals or birds
  • Explosions
  • Floods
  • Falling objects
  • Storms
  • Broken glass
  • As with collision coverage, there is usually a deductible.
    Full Glass Coverage

    Full Glass Coverage

    Full glass coverage pays for the breakage of safety glass with no deductible. Towing coverage covers the expense of towing your car to a shop. Rental reimbursement helps pay for a rental car if your car isn't driveable after a loss that's covered by your collision or comprehensive policy.
    Teen Driving Insurance

    Teen Driving and Insurance

    If you are the parent of a teen driver, your main worry is for your child's safety. You and your new teen driver can save lives and money by learning about the risks and insurance costs of dangerous driving.

    Automobile Industry Resources Approved by the Insurance Commissioner

    9800 Metcalf Avenue
    Overland Park, KS 66282-2901
    9889 Willow Creek Road
    San Diego, CA 92131
    222 Merchandise Mart, Suite 444
    Chicago, IL 60654-1005
    Bishop Ranch 1, 6111 Bollinger Canyon Road, Suite 200
    San Ramon, CA 94583
    10955 Lowell suite 1007
    Overland Park, KS 66210
    450 Summit Avenue, Suite 185
    Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181
    P.O Box 9186
    Rapid City, SD 57709
    855-DCI-LINK or 855-324-5465