Reinstatement of an Expired Paramedic License
What to do after the expiration of your license
An applicant for reinstatement of an expired paramedic licensure must meet the eligibility requirements outlined below.
Applicants must submit the following directly to the Office of Emergency Medical Services:
- A completed Paramedic Reinstatement application with photograph and fee of $150.00. The fee must be in the form of a certified check or money order made payable to "Treasurer, State of Connecticut".
- A brief written summary of the applicant's professional activities since graduation from paramedic school. Please include work history (positions, dates, duties) and any lapses in active practice as a paramedic. If not currently practicing as a paramedic, an explanation of your plans for employment and a description of how you intend to refresh your paramedic skills.
- A letter from the appropriate authority that verifies and confirms your paramedic employment, dates and evaluation of clinical performance. This letter must be submitted directly from the authoritative office to the CT Office of Emergency Medical Services.
- A Mental Health First Aid training program verification by a National Council for Behavioral Health (NCBH) certified instructor.
- If applicable, official verification of all paramedic licenses ever held by the applicant. Section one of the Verification of Licensure form must be completed by applicant. Section Two must be completed by each state or territory in which the applicant is or ever has been licensed. Completed form is to be sent directly to the Office of Emergency Medical Services by the verifying state. Contact each state or territory for completion fee information. The state contact information can be accessed on the NREMT website.
- All reinstatement applications from paramedics who have been out of the active paramedic practice for more than three years and less than five years are required to complete an approved refresher course.
- Applicants who have been out of practice more than five years are required to complete an approved refresher course and successfully complete the NREMT Cognitive and Psychomotor examinations.
- Applicants who have been out of practice for an extensive amount of time may be required to complete the entire paramedic program plus successfully complete the NREMT Cognitive and Psychomotor examinations.
EMS courses are available throughout the state. For a list of available course in Connecticut, please visit the Education page of the OEMS website.
All supporting documentation must be submitted from the source to: