EMT Endorsement on a current Out-of-State Certification
Before applying for certification, please familiarize yourself with the general certification/licensure policies.
Learn how to apply for an initial EMT Certification on CT e-license by downloading the step-by-step instruction guide.
To be eligible for an EMT certification by endorsement of a current out-of-state certification, an applicant must be at least sixteen (16) years old and meet the following requirements:
- Hold current certification as an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT) or by a state or territory maintaining certification requirements equal to or higher than those of this state; and
- Successful completion of a Mental Health First Aid training program by a National Council for Behavioral Health (NCBH) certified instructor.
NOTE: EMT applicants holding a current certification issued by a state or territory of the United States that does not require successful completion of the NREMT examination must meet the Connecticut requirements for certification by examination.
In order to be eligible for an EMT certification by endorsement based on a current out-of-state certification, an applicant must arrange for the submission of the following documentation to be sent directly from the source to the Office of Emergency Medical Services:
- A completed online application for EMT certification on the Connecticut e-License website, based on out-of-state endorsement.
- Official verification of current or expired EMT certification or licensure in another state(s) or territory. The applicant must complete Section One of the form and forward to the state or territory where they are currently, or have been, certified/licensed in for official verification of licensure/certification. Section Two is to be completed by the verifying agency. The completed Verification Form is to be sent directly to the Office of Emergency Medical Services by the verifying agency. The verifying state or territory must also provide their current license/certification requirements. Please contact jurisdiction for completion fee information. Contact information for states and territories can be found on the NREMT website.
- Verification of successful completion of a Mental Health First Aid training program by a National Council for Behavioral Health (NCBH) certified instructor.
Upon receipt and review of all application materials, this office will determine your eligibility under this option. Applicants who do not meet the eligibility requirements may be required to take the psychomotor and cognitive examinations approved by the Department. Please visit the OEMS examination page for examination information and documentation requirements.
All supporting documentation (except for the online application) should be sent from the primary source (state, territory and/or instructor) via any of the following:
via email: email@example.com (Preferred Method)
via fax: 860.920.3142
via mail: Connecticut Department of Public Health
410 Capitol Ave., MS # 12 EMS
P.O. Box 340308
Hartford, CT 06134-0308
For a list of Connecticut approved initial and refresher courses, please visit the Licensing/Certification/Exams page of the OEMS website.