How do teachers from other states apply for a Connecticut teaching certificate?

Read time: 6 minutes


Applying for a Connecticut teaching certificate

Teachers who are moving to Connecticut follow a path to certification based on the state or country they’re coming from. 

  • If you hold a full certificate from Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, DC, please follow this application process
  • Follow the steps below if your a teacher from any other state or territory:

1. Submit your application form

Complete the online or paper-based ED 170 application. Include your nonrefundable $50 application review payment. 

IMPORTANT: We don’t accept personal checks. If you apply by mail, please pay with a cashier’s check, certified bank check, or money order made payable to: Treasurer, State of Connecticut.

2. Submit additional forms

Have the appropriate people complete and sign the following forms. Either you or the organization can mail them to us. Our address appears on each form. Please note that we DO NOT accept photocopies of signed documents. 

ED 711 – Verification of Out-of-State Educator Certification Tests

ED 125 – Statement of Preparing Higher Education Institution

ED 126 – Statement of Professional Experience, but only if you have more than 20 months of successful out-of-state service within the previous ten years.

3. Send official transcripts 

You can either mail us your official undergraduate/graduate transcript(s) or have the university(ies) mail us your transcript or email e-transcript to


Connecticut participates in the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) Interstate Agreement (NIA). Under this agreement, to waive specific coursework requirements, Connecticut may accept:

  • Successful completion of a state-approved educator preparation program at a regionally accredited college or university from another U.S. state. The program must be verified on form ED 125: Statement of Preparing Higher Education Institution and include the signature of the Dean or Certification Officer.


  • A minimum of 30 months of successful full-time experience under another state’s valid educator certificate (at least equivalent to a Connecticut initial educator certificate) that is appropriate to the subject area being requested and completed within 10 years of the date you apply for Connecticut certification. This must be verified on form ED 126: Statement of Professional Experience and include the signature of the Superintendent, HR Director, or Executive Director. You must hold a valid certificate when you apply.

An Initial Educator Certificate may be issued based on the NIA. 


If you are an educator from another country, please follow the steps on this page.


Educators from Other States