How do I apply for a Connecticut special services certificate?

Read time: 6 minutes


Applying for a special services certificate 

Speech and language pathologists, school counselors, school psychologists, school social workers, and school marriage and family therapists from most states complete the steps shown below to become certified. If you’re state belongs to the interstate teacher agreement, click here. 

We will process your completed application in 2-3 months. During the review process we’ll determine whether to issue an initial or provisional certificate. 

1. Application form

Complete the online or paper-based ED 170 application. Include your nonrefundable $50 application review payment. 

IMPORTANT: We don’t accept personal checks. If you apply by mail, please pay with a cashier’s check, certified bank check, or money order made payable to: Treasurer, State of Connecticut.

2. Additional forms

Have ED 125 - Statement of Preparing Higher Education Program or ED 126 - Statement of Professional Experience completed by the appropriate people and mailed to us. ED 125 is for recent graduates and people with less than 20 school months of successful service in the last 10 years under a valid out-of-state certificate. ED 126 is for people who have 20 or more school months of successful service in another state in the last 10 years under a valid out-of-state certificate. 

IMPORTANT: School social workers do not need to submit form ED 125. Experience may be documented with form ED 126.

3. Official transcripts 

  • We recommend mailing us your official undergraduate/graduate transcript in its original unopened envelope. 
  • If you don't have a copy, you may can have the university mail it or send your e-transcript to Due to the large volume of e-transcripts we receive daily, yours may expire before it is processed into your file. If possible, please submit a paper-based official transcript to avoid resubmission.

4. Speech and Language Pathologists

Submit a copy of your Connecticut health license.


Educators from Other States