Am I exempt from subject matter assessments?

Read time: 6 minutes


Content-area assessment exemptions 

Educators may become certified in Connecticut without completing a content-area assessment test approved CT State Board of Education. To be eligible for this exemption, you must hold a current certificate in another state that is equivalent to at least a Connecticut initial educator certificate AND meet one of the following:

  • Document three years of successful teaching experience in the past 10 years under a valid certificate. The experience must be in the endorsement area for which you are applying.


  • Hold a master’s degree in the academic subject area (e.g., math, sciences) that you want to teach. Please note that pedagogical degrees in the subject area, such as those for elementary education, special education, or physical education, do not meet the requirements of the exemption.

Educators from Other States