How do I apply for my school administrator certificate?

Read time: 6 minutes


Applying for a school administrator certificate

If you are a new or current administrator in Connecticut, please submit the following forms and documents to apply for certification. If you are from another state or country, please visit this page


1. Application form

Complete the online or paper-based ED 170 application. Include your nonrefundable $50 application review payment.

IMPORTANT: We don’t accept personal checks. If you apply by mail, please pay with a cashier’s check, certified bank check, or money order made payable to: Treasurer, State of Connecticut.


2. Official college or university transcripts

 You can either: 

  • Mail us your official undergraduate and graduate transcripts
  • Or have the university mail us your official paper transcripts or send your official e-transcripts to
3. Recommendation

Submit an official signed recommendation from the institution where you completed your required coursework.


Once the Bureau of Certification has determined your eligibility for certification, you will be billed separately for your certificate. You may pay your fee balance online or mail your payment to the Bureau. Send your money order, cashier’s check, or certified bank check made payable to “Treasurer, State of Connecticut.” Personal checks cannot be accepted.

Administrators from CT