The Media Library is a folder that contains:
- Images - This is where all images on your website are stored and managed. They can be organized into folders just like your template pages.
- Documents - This is where all document files (i.e. PDF, DOC, XLS) linked on your website are stored and managed. They too can be organized into folders just like your template pages.
Once in the Media Library, you can:
- Upload images
- Upload document files
- View and edit document file properties
- Over-write document files
- Create folders and organize images and document files under them
- Locate a specific file using the content tree or the search feature
The Media Library is comprised of three areas:
The Ribbon is where you have access to a majority of the functions to manage the Media Library. The following options are available from the Home Tab:
- Edit - Provides check-out or check-in function on the selected content item being reviewed
- Upload File - Activates the upload function
- Media Folder - Creates a media library folder to organize items under
- Duplicate - Replicates the selected content item to create a copy of it
- Copy To - Creates a copy of the selected content item in another area of the Content Tree folder structure. Note: when you perform this operation, the copy retains all the original’s links to it; it may be necessary to change these to reflect the copy’s new location.
- Move To - Moves the selected item from current location in the Content Tree folder structure to a new location. Note: when you perform this operation, the item retains all its links to it; it may be necessary to change these to reflect the item’s new location.
- Delete - Removes the selected item and all its sub-items from Sitecore. Note: when you perform this operation, any item that links to it will have a broken link unless you link to another item.
- Rename - Changes the name of the selected item as it appears in the Content Tree folder structure and the URL of the item. Note: changing the name of the item does not affect links to it, there is no need to edit any existing links.
- Display Name - Adds a display title to the selected item and change the way the item displays its title to the visitor. Note: this does not change the name of the item in the Content Tree folder structure or the URL. Items that do not have a display title default to the name of the item in the Content Tree.
- Arrow Keys - Moves content items up and down within their content folders and reorders them if needed.
The Content Tree displays the media file folders and sub-folders. You can search for a file to locate it, or navigate the tree by expanding folders to see all sub-folders and images. Collapse the folders to hide sub-folders.
NOTE: Searching for a file requires the full and exact file name to find a match.