This certificate, or another appropriate certificate, shall be required for a person employed by a board of education who is designated by the employing agent or board of education as: deputy superintendent, assistant superintendent, principal, assistant principal, curriculum coordinator, supervisor of instruction or any person who has the primary responsibility for directing or coordinating or managing certified staff and resources, or any person responsible for summative evaluation of certified staff. This certificate may authorize service as a school business administrator.
Planned Program Requirement
Please be aware that applicants requesting endorsements to serve as an intermediate administrator or supervisor, a superintendent of schools, or a reading and language arts consultant must complete a state-approved planned program of educator preparation at a regionally accredited college or university, leading to a formal institutional recommendation for certification. The institution will outline specific courses required for the required institutional recommendation for certification. Administrative endorsements may not be obtained through cross endorsement.
- Master's degree from an approved institution;
- 18 semester hours of graduate credit beyond the master's degree;
- 50 school months of successful teaching experience or service;
- Institutional recommendation based on completion of a state-approved certification program specific to school administration, including graduate course work in each of the following: psychological and pedagogical foundations of learning, curriculum development and program monitoring, school administration, personnel evaluation and supervision, and contemporary education problems and solutions; and
- A course of study in special education comprised of not fewer than 36 clock hours, which shall include study in understanding the growth and development of exceptional children, including handicapped and gifted and talented children and children who may require special education, and methods for identifying, planning for and working effectively with special-needs children in the regular classroom.
Please note: In order to advance a certificate endorsed for intermediate administration or supervision (#092) to the professional level, candidates must have completed at least 30 semester hours of graduate credit beyond the master’s degree, including the credits earned to obtain the initial #092.
Upgrading Your Certification
Initial to Provisional
- Public School Administrators: 10 full months of successful service under the Initial educator certificate.
- Approved Nonpublic Public School Administrators: 30 full months of successful service under the Initial educator certificate.
Provisional to Professional
30 months of successful service in a Connecticut school under the Provisional certificate and the completion of a master’s degree plus 30 credits.