OEMS - EMS Education and Training
Looking for an EMR, EMT, AEMT or Paramedic initial or refresher course?
The following paramedic education programs have been approved by the Department and will prepare the successful candidate to take the NREMT paramedic examination and licensure in Connecticut. If an applicant completes paramedic training outside of Connecticut, they must first obtain certification or licensure from another state before seeking licensure by endorsement in Connecticut.
Contact programs directly for dates, times and registration procedures.
American Professional Education Service & Backus Hospital Consortium
1 American Way
Norwich, CT 06360
|Capital Community College
950 Main Street
Hartford, CT 06013
|Central Connecticut Paramedic Education Program Consortium
1 Herald Square
New Britain, CT 60051
|Hartford Healthcare Center for Education Innovation and Simulation
560 Hudson Street
Hartford, CT 06102
|Yale-New Haven Health Center for EMS
77-D Willow Street
New Haven, CT 06511
Paramedic Continuing Education
NCCP ALS continuing education is offered by many approved providers in Connecticut. Refer to the Current Approved EMS Provider Course listing above.
Note: Connecticut DPH OEMS does not approve or endorse specific programs such as Basic Life Support, Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Emergency Vehicle Operator and Pediatric Advanced Life Support. EMS education programs, sponsor hospitals and EMS organizations may require one or more specific credentials for EMS personnel.
Connecticut and the National Registery of EMT (NREMT)
The Commissioner of Public Health has directed this office to seek national level standardization of certification of EMS personnel. Currently, only EMT and paramedic personnel are required to take NREMT examinations, and no level of provider is required to maintain NREMT certification beyond initial certification. Legislation has been proposed to adopt the NREMT as the entry level examination for all levels of EMS provider, including EMR, EMT, AEMT and paramedic.
This proposed legislation will also change the recertification requirement from the current refresher-based system to the NREMT National Continued Competency Program (NCCP) that allows for continuing education. Information regarding the impact of the NREMT on various groups is listed below.
EMS Instructor Listserv
The OEMS office operates an official email Listserv for EMS Instructors. Listserv info and to subscribe.
This section includes EMSI-specific memos and Everbridge notifications sent out to certified EMS Instructors. If you are a currently certified EMS Instructor and you are not receiving these notifications, please click here to send an email to be added to the database and begin receiving EMSI notifications. Please include name, CT EMSI certification number, and a valid email address.
2020 Changes - For EMS Instructors
OEMS Approval of EMS Continuing Education
2019 NCCP EMR Record
2019 NCCP EMT Record
2019 NCCP AEMT Record
2019 NCCP Paramedic Record
T-1 Initial Course Application (2019)
T-2 Continuing Education Application (2019)
OEMS Communication Statement (19-08) regarding the 2020 Changes to the EMS Certification Process can be found on the OEMS Communication and Resource Page.
- Alternative pathway to EMR certification, updated guidance
- Updated requirements for T1 documentation
- Reminder regarding refresher exam rosters
- 12.30.2011 memo regarding changes in the EMS certification & education system
Resource MaterialsEMS Education Manual (Updated 9/17/19)
NREMT NCCR Information and Outlines
- National EMS Education Standards
- Emergency Medical Responder Instructional Guidelines
- Emergency Medical Technician Instructional Guidelines
- Advanced Emergency Medical Technician Instructional Guidelines
- Paramedic Instructional Guidelines
- National EMS Core Content
- National EMS Scope of Practice Model - November 2017 Update
- All EMT Psychomotor Exam Skill Sheets
- Guideline for conducting an AEMT Training Program
- Fillable exam roster for EMR/EMR Refresher & EMT Refresher written exams
Education & Training materials
EMT Administration of IM Epinephrine via Syringe
Hemorrhage Control for the EMS Provider
- Hemorrhage Control for the EMS Provider training presentation
- Hemorrhage Control for the EMS Provider training presentation (with instructor notes)
- Hemmorhage Control summary of changes to training presentation
Aspirin Administration Scope of Practice Expansion
EMT 12-Lead ECG Acquisition & Transmission Scope of Practice Expansion
EMT Blood Glucose Monitoring
EMT CPAP Scope of Practice Expansion
- CPAP by EMTs - Scope of Practice Letter
- Required CPAP Educational Competencies
- Model CPAP Training Program
- CPAP Approved Clinical Guideline
BLS Naloxone Administration Scope of Practice Expansion
Spinal Motion Restriction Scope of Practice Expansion
Tourniquet use by EMRs Scope of Practice Expansion
Please Note: Adobe Acrobat Reader is needed in order to view and print the Portable Document Format (pdf) files.