Rental Security Deposit Complaints


The Department of Banking investigates rental security deposit complaints, issues cease and desist orders and refers matters to the Attorney General's Office for legal action.  If you have a complaint regarding a rental security deposit issue, please download and complete our customer assistance form below.  All complaints will be handled in the order in which they are received.  In most instances, responses will be issued to consumer complaints within 60 days.

Going to Court (Small Claims) to Resolve Disputes:

As a simple, quick alternative, landlords or tenants with disputes about rental security deposits may bring small claims suits in a Housing Session, or in the local Geographical Area Court if there is no Housing Session, provided that the dollar amount claimed falls within the jurisdiction of the small claims court.

Refer to your local telephone book blue pages under State of Connecticut Judicial Department for local court addresses or visit the Judicial Department website.

Filing a Complaint:  

If you wish to file a written complaint with the Department of Banking, please use the Complaint Form below.  When filing your complaint, you must complete all items on the complaint form and you must attach copies of all necessary documentation as requested on the form in order for us to process your complaint.

Rental Security Deposit Customer Assistance Form

En Español: El formulario en Español  | Lista de Control

Please mail the completed form along with the required documents to: 

Connecticut Department of Banking
Government Relations and Consumer Affairs
260 Constitution Plaza
Hartford, CT 06103-1800


Telephone:  860-240-8170
Toll-free 1-800-831-7225

Helpful Resources:

Volunteer Small Claims Attorney Program:  The Judicial Branch of the State of Connecticut complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If you need a reasonable accommodation in accordance with the ADA, for example a session by telephone instead of in-person at the court houses, contact Attorney Rose Ann Rush, Manager, Volunteer Attorney Program for Small Claims, (203) 965-5288, e-mail:  See volunteer attorney schedule.

Statewide Legal Services:   Telephone (800) 453-3320, from Middletown and Hartford (860) 344-0380

County Bar Associations’ Lawyer Referral Services:  County Bar Associations in Connecticut have referral services to attorneys who can answer questions during a half-hour consultation. You can send an email with your questions and availability. Services beyond the initial half-hour fee will be at the attorney’s market rate. 

Interest Rate Information

Tenant/Landlord Education