How do school administrators from other countries apply for certification in Connecticut?

Read time: 6 minutes


How to apply from other countries 

We ask administrators from other countries to send specific information to us and approved agencies for evaluation. Please follow the process below.  If you are from the United States, please visit this page to learn how you can apply.


1.Submit an application form

Complete the online or paper-based ED 170 application. Include your nonrefundable $50 application review payment. 


IMPORTANT: We don’t accept personal checks. If you apply by mail, please pay with a cashier’s check, certified bank check, or money order made payable to: Treasurer, State of Connecticut.


2. Submit additional forms and documentation:

  • Teaching and administrator certificates: Mail a copy of your valid license(s) and certificate(s) for all years of service. 


  • ED125 Statement of Preparing Higher Education Institution: If you completed a teacher preparation program, please have the college, university, or other program provider complete this form and mail it to us. 


  • ED126 Statements of Professional Experience: If you have any teaching or school administrator experience in grades K-12 within the past 10 years, please have the superintendent, district head, Ministry of Education, or other authorized agency complete this form and mail it to us. 


IMPORTANT: Any document in a language other than English must be accompanied by a notarized translation of all information in the original.


3. Submit transcripts from colleges and universities 

If you graduated from U.S. schools, you can either: 

  • Mail us your official undergraduate and graduate transcripts 
  • Have the university(ies) mail us your official paper transcripts or send your e-transcripts to


If you graduated from schools outside the U.S., please work with one of the following companies to have your coursework evaluated for our final review: 


4. Connecticut Administrator Test

If you meet all requirements other than testing, we will issue an interim (temporary) certification. You will have one year to pass the Connecticut Administrator Test, which is proctored by ETS. We encourage you to prepare for the exam with ETS’ test preparation materials and practice test


Once the Bureau of Certification has determined your eligibility for certification, you will be billed separately for your certificate. You may pay your fee balance online or mail your payment to the Bureau. Send your money order, cashier’s check, or certified bank check made payable to “Treasurer, State of Connecticut.” Personal checks cannot be accepted.

Administrators from Other Countries