File a Debt Adjuster Complaint


The Department of Banking licenses Debt Adjusters.  Debt Adjusters are agencies that offer services including the administration of Debt Management Plans (DMPs) for unsecured debt such as: credit cards, student loans, and medical bills.

In the administration of a DMP, the licensed organization receives money from you and forwards it to the creditor.  Your creditors may be listed on your credit reports.  Contact only organizations licensed by the Banking Commissioner as Debt Adjusters.  Most Debt Adjusters also offer counseling if you are faced with significant debt or bankruptcy, money management advice, and assistance in establishing debt repayment plans and budgets.

How do I submit a complaint?

Debt Adjusters are required to be licensed by the Department of Banking.

  1. Attempt to resolve the dispute by contacting the debt adjuster to resolve your dispute.
  2. If you cannot resolve the dispute with the debt adjuster you have been working with, determine if the debt adjuster is licensed by the Department of Banking.  See debt adjusters licensed in Connecticut.
  3. If the debt adjuster you have been working with is not licensed in Connecticut, the Department of Banking also accepts complaints against unlicensed companies who are acting as debt adjusters with Connecticut residents.

Online Customer Assistance Form

Helpful Resources


Telephone Direct: 860-240-8170
Toll-free: 1-800-831-7225, press option 2
Foreclosure Assistance Hotline:  1-877-472-8313

By Email:

Please Note:

This is an unsecured e-mail address for general questions.  Please do not include personal identifying information such as Social Security and/or account numbers, birth date, user ID, or passwords using this unsecured e-mail address.  To send a Secure Message log into the Online Assistance Form.