File a Complaint

ATTENTION: The Public Utilities Regulatory Authority does not accept walk-in customer complaints in our offices at 10 Franklin Square, New Britain, Connecticut. Customers may contact the Authority by telephone (1-800-382-4586, toll-free) or by email at or by completing an online intake form.


If you experience a problem with a utility company, please contact the utility company first and give it an opportunity to resolve your problem.

You can find your company's telephone number by selecting one of the following utility service areas:

CATV  |  Gas  |  Electric  |  Telephone  |  Water  |  Cell Phone

If your company does not resolve your matter to your satisfaction, you can contact PURA. PURA staff has been trained to assist you in resolving the various types of problems you may experience with your utility company. The most common complaints we receive involve:

  • Termination and re-connection of service
  • High bills
  • Quality of service
  • Service installation
  • Line extensions
  • Meter tests
  • Incorrect rates or tariffs
  • Reasonable payment arrangements
  • Outages
  • Deposits
  • Unauthorized switching of utility service from one provider to another 
Please contact us by submitting a web-filed complaint, sending us an email, or calling:
1-800-382-4586 (toll free within Connecticut)
1-860-827-2622 (outside Connecticut)
TDD 860-827-2837

Any person with a disability who may need a communication aid or service should contact us at 860-418-5910 or at

Hours of Operation

The Authority's Call Center can be reached Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (EST). The Call Center is closed on state holidays.