Starting in May, electric and gas utilities began notifying residential customers with unpaid and/or past-due balances that if they do not take action and contact their utility to enroll in a payment plan, they are at risk of having their services terminated. If your household has received a notification from your utility company, please contact them directly to set up a payment plan to keep your services on. These plans charge no interest, and all customers qualify at least once for one or more of these plans. After engaging with utility providers, customers may also contact PURA’s customer affairs unit for specific questions regarding payment arrangements. View eligibility, utility contact information:

File a Complaint

ATTENTION: The Public Utilities Regulatory Authority does not accept walk-in customer complaints in our offices at 10 Franklin Square, New Britain, Connecticut. Customers may contact the Authority by telephone (1-800-382-4586, toll-free) or by email at or by completing an online intake form.


If you experience a problem with a utility company, please contact the utility company first and give it an opportunity to resolve your problem.

You can find your company's telephone number by selecting one of the following utility service areas:

CATV  |  Gas  |  Electric  |  Telephone  |  Water  |  Cell Phone

If your company does not resolve your matter to your satisfaction, you can contact PURA. PURA staff has been trained to assist you in resolving the various types of problems you may experience with your utility company. The most common complaints we receive involve:

  • Termination and re-connection of service
  • High bills
  • Quality of service
  • Service installation
  • Line extensions
  • Meter tests
  • Incorrect rates or tariffs
  • Reasonable payment arrangements
  • Outages
  • Deposits
  • Unauthorized switching of utility service from one provider to another 
Please contact us by submitting a web-filed complaint, sending us an email, or calling:
1-800-382-4586 (toll free within Connecticut)
1-860-827-2622 (outside Connecticut)
TDD 860-827-2837

Any person with a disability who may need a communication aid or service should contact us at 860-418-5910 or at

Hours of Operation

The Authority's Call Center can be reached Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (EST). The Call Center is closed on state holidays.