Starting in May, electric and gas utilities began notifying residential customers with unpaid and/or past-due balances that if they do not take action and contact their utility to enroll in a payment plan, they are at risk of having their services terminated. If your household has received a notification from your utility company, please contact them directly to set up a payment plan to keep your services on. These plans charge no interest, and all customers qualify at least once for one or more of these plans. After engaging with utility providers, customers may also contact PURA’s customer affairs unit for specific questions regarding payment arrangements. View eligibility, utility contact information:

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I learn more about my electric bill?

Watch these tutorials to understand your electric bill from Eversource Energy and The United Illuminating Company (UI).

Where can I get help paying my heating bill?

The Connecticut Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) is designed to help offset the winter heating costs of Connecticut's lower income households, specifically those households whose income falls at or below 60 percent of the state median income. To find the nearest application site, individuals can call 2-1-1 or visit

How can I get help paying my utility bill?

View our Payment Assistance Programs webpage or our Fact Sheet on Utility Bill Payment Assistance for more information. 

What resulted from PURA's investigation into July 2020 bill increases?

PURA made sweeping changes to the electric rate adjustment process on December 2, 2020. Learn more about what that means for ratepayers here.

I have heard that I can now change electric suppliers. What do I need to know?

Before signing up with an electric supplier, be sure you know the standard service rate or the current rate you are paying so you can make an adequate comparison.  Also, know when the supplier’s rate will change, if there is an early termination fee, and if the contract has an automatic renewal provision, which allows the contract to automatically renew – often at a higher rate.  For more information on electric suppliers, visit

How do I switch suppliers?

Visit to shop for an electric supplier.

Video Tutorial: How to Compare Energy Supplier Rates on

What is slamming?

Slamming is the unauthorized illegal switch of a customer’s utility service.  Specifically, slamming can involve the unauthorized switch of a customer’s competitive electric generation service or their local or long distance telephone service.

If you believe your electric generation service or your telephone service has been switched without your consent or authorization, you may contact the PURA to file a complaint (1-800-382-4586) or file a complaint using the online complaint form.

What is the Winter Protection Program?

The Winter Protection Program – also referred to as the Winter Moratorium – is the time period from November 1 through May 1 when customers who qualify for hardship protection (because of income or illness) may not have their utility service terminated if they are unable to pay their entire bill for gas or electric service. The customer is required to apply to the company with proof of hardship, at which time if the requirements are met, the customer's account is put into protected status and the customer must enter into a payment arrangement with the utility.

What are the rules for shutoffs of gas, electric, water and telephone service?

See the Department's regulations on termination of service.

Who do I call if I have a complaint regarding the solar panels installed at my home or business?

The PURA does not have jurisdiction over the solar panel companies or the installers of solar panels.  If you have a complaint regarding solar panels installers or installation, customers are advised to contact the Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection at 800-842-2649. Customers may also contact the Office of the Attorney General at 860-808-5318.

Where can I get information about a PURA matter or docket?

You can access pending, recently decided cases, or older dockets within PURA's case management filing system.

If you need assistance in locating documents on the web, or that are not available electronically, contact the Executive Secretary's Office, 860-827-2836 or

Where can I get copies of annual reports for Connecticut based utility companies?

Most annual reports can be viewed online. Alternatively, PURA can provide you with a copy of the annual report of any Connecticut utility company or competitive telecommunications carrier for a copying fee of $.25 per page. Call 1-800-382-4586 to order.

How do I get my name on the Do Not Call List (for telephone solicitation)?

You can get your name on the list through the National Do Not Call Registry.

What do I do If I have an issue with my cable company?

You should first contact your cable company.  Contact information for each cable company is available here. If you have already contacted your cable company, please read PURA’s Cable FAQ for more information or to see whether PURA can help with your particular issue.