Electronic Health Record (EHR) Electronic Exchange with CT WiZ
Connecticut’s Immunization Information System (CT WiZ)
HL7 Onboarding Process
On September 17, 2018, DPH migrated the data from the Connecticut Immunization Registry and Tracking System (CIRTS) into the new CT WiZ! This new Immunization Information System (IIS) enables bi-directional electronic data exchange between your electronic health record (EHR) and CT WiZ.
**Connecticut follows National Standards for Electronic Health Record (EHR) Reporting**
- A provider/clinic who vaccinates children ages 0-18, you can apply below for electronic data exchange with CT WiZ. DPH will send email notifications as you progress through each phase of the onboarding process. These email notifications can be used for Meaningful Use attestation.
- A provider/clinic who does not vaccinate children ages 0-18 and is not required to report immunizations to CT WiZ, you do not need to report any data to CT WiZ. If you are trying to attest to Meaningful Use, click here for the exemption letter.
Meaningful Use Attestation Information Click here for more information on Meaningful Use.
*A recent blast fax was sent that asked CVP Coordinators to complete the following survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CTWiZ_EHR_Survey. It should take less than 15 minutes to complete. If you did not receive notice of the survey, CT DPH is looking to collect information on each CVP clinic’s use of or future plans to use an electronic health record (EHR). Please fill out this survey whether or not your clinic currently has an electronic health record (EHR).
For people who provide EHR technical support- Please complete this survey if you have been asked to do so by a clinic that provides vaccines to children.
Follow the steps below to establish an electronic interface between your EHR and CT WiZ.
|1. Getting Started|
Before you start your application, review the following documents.
- The onboarding application and NIST reports
- Waiting for testing to begin
- Meetings throughout the process
- The configuration and connection of your EHR to CT WiZ
- The testing and validation of HL7 messages
- Data quality review of HL7 messages
- Going Live in Production
The Transport Layer Protocol Recommendation Formal Specification provides guidance on connectivity and transport. CT WiZ only accepts submission through SOAP Web Services using the CDC WSDL.
The CT WiZ Local Implementation Guide for HL7 2.5.1 Immunization Messaging Release 1.5 and the following documents define what fields and segments the Immunization Information System will and will not accept in an HL7 message.
- CT WiZ HL7 Segments VXU
- Quick Reference to Fix VXU Errors
- CVP Patient Eligibility Screening
- Vaccines Supplied by CVP (Jan 2019)
The NIST Cases Validation Instructions provides guidance on performing the necessary testing and validation of messages in the NIST Tool in order to demonstrate that your EHR System complies with the requirements of HL7 Version 2.5.1 for Immunization Messaging, Release 1.5.
|2. Complete the Application|
Ready to apply? Remember, you must successfully complete the NIST tests and save the reports.
Review the Onboarding Readiness Checklist to ensure you are ready to apply.
Complete the CT WiZ HL7 Application Form. Review the 1st tab and complete the other 4 tabs in the spreadsheet.
Email the Application Form and the NIST Reports to Helpdesk.email@example.com. In the email's subject line, please type "Intent to submit data electronically to CT WiZ".
|3. Application Status|
If you have any additional questions about the application process, please email HelpDesk.firstname.lastname@example.org and include your complete name, organization/clinic name, email and phone number with your detailed question.
Application review and approval typically takes 3-5 business days. Once your application has been approved, you will receive an invitation and additional instructions to begin the testing process.
|4. Testing Phase|
The organization (or their designee) should monitor the ACKs and take actions to correct submissions as needed until errors no longer occur.
Phase 1: Confirm that CT WiZ can accept a test message from your EHR System.
Phase 2: Validate messages from your EHR to confirm that required fields are populated with proper codes.
Phase 3: Assess data quality of message content to ensure accurate patient data has been sent.
There must be 2 weeks of error and warning free messages before moving into the Production environment.
|5. In Production|
- How to run the HL7 Context-based testing in NIST tool
- How to run the HL7 Context-free testing in NIST tool
- How to run the SOAP Envelope testing in NIST tool
- How to run the SOAP Connectivity testing in NIST tool
Connectivity and Transport (SOAP/WSDL)