Foreign Language Cross-Endorsements
The following are foreign language endorsements:
- French, 7-12 (#018)
- German, 7-12 (#019)
- Italian, 7-12 (#020)
- Russian, 7-12 (#022)
- Spanish, 7-12 (#023)
- Other World Language, 7-12 (#024)
- Portuguese, 7-12 (#317)
- Mandarin Chinese, 7-12 (#318)
- Latin, 7-12 (#021)
- World Language Instructor – Elementary (#101)
The requirements outlined on this page are general guidelines. Approval and/or acceptance of specific course work will be determined once an application, fee, and official transcripts have been submitted for review.
Foreign Language, 7-12 (#018, #019, #020, #022, #023, #024, #317, #318)
Effective July 1, 2018, educators who hold a valid initial, provisional, or professional educator certificate with a teaching endorsement may be eligible for an additional endorsement in a world language area by obtaining a passing score on the appropriate American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) tests. Additional course work in the content area is no longer required. Please note: this legislation does not apply to Latin, 7-12 (#021) or World Language Instructor – Elementary (#101).
Latin, 7–12 (#021)
- 24 semester hours of credit in Latin, OR
- 18 semester hours of credit in Latin, if course work was started at the intermediate level, OR
- 12 semester hours of credit in Latin, if course work was started at the advanced level, AND
- 6 semester hours including course work in: methods and materials for teaching foreign language, and language acquisition.
World Language Instructor – Elementary (#101)
- Must hold or meet all requirements for a secondary foreign language certificate;
- Three semester hours of credit in language acquisition in young children; and
- Three semester hours of credit in methods and materials for teaching foreign language at the elementary level.
A list of approved courses for the elementary foreign language cross-endorsement is available.
Please note: Course work for all endorsements must result in the award of college-level credit posted to an official transcript from an accredited college or university.