Licensing Requirements


Before applying for licensure, please familiarize yourself with the general licensing policies.


In order to qualify, an applicant must hold a master's degree from a social work program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education or, if educated outside the United States or its territories, have completed an educational program deemed equivalent by the council.


Please note that the ASWB master's level examination requirement is suspended until January 1, 2026.  


Documentation Requirements


An official transcript submitted directly from the accredited institution of higher education to this office verifying the award of a master's degree in social work;


If applicable, verification of all licenses held, current or expired.  Most states charge a fee for this service.  Please be sure to contact the state to determine fee information; and


A completed application and with photograph attached.  Applications are only accepted online.  Please select this link to apply online.  The application fee is $125;


Examination Registration Procedure


Applicants who want to be approved to take the examination even though it is not required for licensure may request to sit for the examination by indicating that on their application.  CT DPH will issue a license without examination and will provide the applicant with information on how to register for the examination.


The ASWB Candidate Handbook contains information on the examination, registration, admission and ADA accommodations.


Applicants who use English as a Second Language (ESL) and require special accommodation for the examination should complete the request form, have it notarized and submit it to the address below.  


Any questions regarding the examination process may be addressed to ASWB.


All supporting documents must be submitted directly to this office to:


Connecticut Department of Public of Public Health

MSW Licensing

410 Capitol Ave., MS#12APP

PO Box 340308

Hartford, CT 06134

Phone: (860) 509-7603

Fax:  (860) 509-1980