Licensure Based on an Out-of-State License

 Before applying for licensure, please familiarize yourself with the general licensing policies.


Applicants who are currently licensed to practice therapeutic massage in another state or jurisdiction may qualify for licensure provided the applicant:


Has practiced as a massage therapist for at least 1 year immediately preceding the date of application;


Has successfully completed the Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx) administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards or the the National Certification Examination for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork formerly administered by the NCTMB.   Please note that the National Examination for State Licensing (NESL) examination formerly administered by the NCTMB examination does not satisfy the examination requirement. 


Documentation Requirements


Applicants must arrange for the following to be submitted directly to office from the source:


Verification directly from the appropriate authority verifying at least 1 year of practice as a massage therapist;


Verification of successful completion of the MBLEx or the NCTMB examination. 


Verification form sent directly from each state licensing authority where a license, registration or certification is or has ever been held.  Some states may charge a fee for this service.  For fee information, please contact the issuing authority prior to submitting your request.

All supporting documentation should be sent to:  


A completed application with fee in the amount of $379.75.  This fee also covers the Department's cost to query the National Practitioner Data Bank.  Applications are only accepted online.  Please select this link Opens in a new window to apply online.


Connecticut Department of Public Health

Massage Therapist License

410 Capitol Ave., MS # 12 APP

P.O. Box 340308

Hartford, CT 06134

Phone: (860) 509-7603

Fax:  (860) 707-1982