How to Obtain a Vital Record
*The following provides information for obtaining vital records only for events that took place in Connecticut.
Where Can I Obtain a Vital Record?
Requests for certified copies of vital records may be submitted to the vital records office of the town where the vital event occurred or to the State Vital Records Office. Foreign birth adoptions, original birth certificates of an adopted person and stillbirth certificates must be requested from the State Vital Records Office, as towns do not process these certificates. Generally, requests submitted to the town vital records offices are processed more quickly. The processing time at the State Vital Records Office varies and can be up to eight (8) weeks.
How Do I Request a Certified Copy of a Vital Record?
Applications for certified copies of vital events must be submitted in one of the various methods listed below.
- Online and Phone Order Requests
Online service is available with additional fees for birth, death, and marriage certificates (excludes stillbirth and fetal death records) through VitalChek Network, Inc. Visit the VitalChek website at www.vitalchek.com.
Note that VitalChek is the only third party vendor approved by the Connecticut Department of Public Health.
- In Person Requests
Visit the town vital records office where the event occurred or where the certificate holder resided at the time of the event, or the State Vital Records Office. Click here for Town Directory.
- Mail Requests
Send the application to the town where the event occurred (click here for Town Directory), or to the State Vital Records Office (address) . Note that for birth certificate requests a photocopy of the requester's government issued photographic identification is required. For death certificates, if you are eligible to the decedent’s social security number, you will need to send proof of identity and proof of relationship.
How Much Does a Certified Copy of a Vital Record Cost?
The cost of a certified copy varies depending on the type of record and where it is obtained. Certified copies may be issued by the town or the state. Note that fetal death and stillbirth certificates are only issued by the State Vital Records Office.
Town Issued Certificates
- When obtaining a record through the town, a money order made payable to the town must be submitted. Personal checks are not accepted.
- Town issued birth, death, marriage, and civil union certificates are $20 per copy.
- If available, VitalChek Expedited Processing (online and phone orders)
- Certificate fees plus additional processing and shipping fees
- State Issued Certificates
- When obtaining a record through the State, a money order made payable to “Treasurer, State of Connecticut” must be submitted. Credit card payments and personal checks are not accepted.
- Death, marriage, and civil union certificates are $20 per copy.
- State issued birth and stillbirth certificates are $30 per copy.
- State issued fetal death certificates are $30 per copy.
- VitalChek Expedited Processing (online and phone orders)
- Certificate fees plus additional processing and shipping fees.
For more information on death certificates, go here.
For more information on birth certificates, go here.
For more information on stillbirth and fetal death certificates, go here.
For more information on marriage and civil union certificates, go here.
For more information on paternity, go here.
For more information on Apostilles, go here.