Amid a rapidly evolving pandemic situation and to ensure the health and welfare of our employees and their families, the Practitioner Investigations Unit of the Department of Public Health is instituting policies of social distancing to make our workplace as safe as possible. Staff who can perform their duties from home are working remotely.  Voicemails will be checked periodically, and staff will get back to you as soon as possible.

As there is no general voicemail for the Practitioner Investigations Unit, for complaints regarding licensed health care providers please email the Practitioner Investigations Unit at:

For Reopen CT related to Businesses, please visit:
If you are filing a complaint with allegations that a dental care setting is not adhering to infection control guidelines related to COVID-19, please email .
Please include the following information:
  • The name of the dentist and address of the practice
  • Specific infection control violations witnessed at the practice
  • Date and time of alleged infection control violations
  • Witnesses to the alleged infection control violations
  • A phone number where you can be reached if necessary
  • If an employee of the practice, please describe efforts made to discuss these infection control concerns with your employer and the outcome of the discussion.


Individual Health Care Practitioners

If your complaint is in regard to care provided by an individual health care practitioner (i.e. doctor, nurse, chiropractor, etc.) you may select this link to access a printable complaint form.  Please complete the form and mail it to the address indicated. 

The Practitioner Investigations Unit may be reached at:

Connecticut Department of Public Health
410 Capitol Ave., MS# 12HSR
Hartford, CT 06134-0308
Phone: (860) 509-7552
Fax: (860) 707-1916 or (860) 509-7535

You may select this link to access information regarding DPH's Complaint Investigation and Hearing Process.  If you are a licensee who has been named in a complaint, a respondent guide about the licensure investigation and disciplinary process can be found here.  You may also select this link for frequently asked questions regarding practitioner complaints and investigations.

Mandatory Reporting of Impaired Health Care Practitioners

Effective October 1, 2015, hospitals and certain healthcare providers are required by law to report information when another healthcare provider is, or may be, unable to practice his or her profession with reasonable skill or safety. More information on the mandatory reporting of impaired practitioners can be found here.   For practitioners or hospitals wishing to fulfill this mandate by filing a petition with the Connecticut Department of Public Health, a printable form with instructions is available here.

To file a complaint regarding the care provided at a Connecticut Healthcare Facility, please click this link.