Cheshire Correctional Institution
|Address:||900 Highland Avenue
Cheshire , CT 06410
Please review the following information before scheduling a visit https://portal.ct.gov/DOC/Miscellaneous/Visiting
Cheshire CI Visiting Schedule - As of May 2021
Updates: NON-CONTACT & VIDEO VISITS ARE NOW AVAILABLE
Ongoing cancellations: No social visits on Wednesdays (7 AM - 3 PM) and Fridays (4 PM - 11 PM) until further notice.
Please complete the following form to request a scheduled in-person or video visit: Visit Request Form
Note: A visit is not scheduled until you receive confirmation from the facility. Check your junk mail folder for confirmations or emails regarding visits.
Visits are scheduled according to the inmates housing location. If an inmate moves to another housing location, the visit will be cancelled and needs to be rescheduled. It is the inmate’s responsibility to notify the visitor that their visit will need to be rescheduled.
Any individual who attempts to visit a facility without a pre-scheduled, confirmed appointment will not be accommodated.
For all general visiting information refer to https://portal.ct.gov/DOC/Miscellaneous/Visiting
See data available regarding Connecticut Department of Correction's supervised population.
The Cheshire Correctional Institution confines long-term, adult sentenced offenders. It also operates several specialized housing units, including protective custody and restrictive housing.
The facility emphasizes rewards for deserving inmates via opportunities for bettering themselves by: learning a trade through prison industries, educational programming, addiction service programming and religious programming.
The vocational education programs conducts dozens of projects assisting non-profit and community organizations, which include refurbishment and donation of bicycles to local elementary schools.
Present staffing: 428.
The Cheshire Reformatory was established by the Connecticut General Assembly in 1909 and opened in 1913 after three years of construction carried out by inmates from the State Prison in Wethersfield. It was designed as a reformatory for male offenders ages 16-24, with the intention of seperating these offenders from the adult prison population.
The physical plant consists of four inmate housing units and is situated on 25 acres. The cells of the north block galleys were reportedly purchased from Sing Sing prison in New York and brought to Connecticut by barge.
In 1956 an addition was built.
In 1968 the facility was merged administratively with the newly created Department of Correction.
In 1982 the facility was designated for adult males.
In 1993, the galleys closed and the new North and South Blocks were opened.
In 1998 the commissary housing unit opened.
List of past wardens:
|1968-1971||B. J. Leverette|
|2003-2005||James E. Dzurenda|
|2005-2007||Daniel W. Martin|
|2014-2015||Timothy Farrell Sr.|