File a Small Loan Company Complaint
Small Loan Company Complaint Notice:
The Department of Banking (DOB) regulates companies who make unsecured loans of up to $15,000 and charge an interest rate greater than 12% per year, unless made by certain exempt persons such as banks, credit unions, and Department of Banking Small Loan Company licensees. However, DOB Small Loan licensees can charge up to 36% interest per year.
Our definition of Small Loan Company has expanded our jurisdiction to include complaints against companies that make, offer, broker, or assist a borrower in Connecticut to obtain such loan. The assistance may be through any method, including but not limited to, mail, telephone, Internet or any electronic means.
How do I submit a complaint?
- Attempt to resolve the dispute by contacting the small loan company to resolve your dispute.
- If the dispute cannot be resolved, determine if the small loan company is licensed by the Department of Banking. Attempt to resolve the dispute by using the NMLS Consumer Access information to obtain contact information about the company to resolve your dispute. This website allows consumers to view information concerning Small Loan Lenders. Click on the NMLS Consumer Access button. See Instructions for Using NMLS Consumer Access.
- If the company is not licensed by the Department of Banking, the Department also accepts complaints against unlicensed companies who are conducting small loan company activities with Connecticut residents. In this case, send your complaint to the Department of Banking.
Note: The interest rates on a small loan secured by title to an automobile is the same as our caps on retail installment contracts to purchase a car.
Caps on interest rate charged on auto title loans:
- New car = cap of 15% annual percentage rate (APR) on interest charged
- Used model less than 2 years old = cap of 17% APR
- Used model over 2years old = cap of 19% APR
Telephone Direct: 860-240-8170
Toll-free: 1-800-831-7225, ext. 8170
Foreclosure Assistance Hotline: 1-877-472-8313
By Email: email@example.com
This is an unsecured e-mail address for general questions. Please do not include personal identifying information such as Social Security and/or account numbers, birth date, user ID, or passwords using this unsecured e-mail address. To send a Secure Message log into the Online Assistance Form.