File a Payday Loans-Title Loan Complaint
Department of Banking Payday Loan/Auto Title Loan Complaint Notice:
As an industry practice, payday loans are made for an amount up to and including fifteen thousand dollars and charge an interest rate in excess of 12% per annum. Connecticut Banking Law considers such loans as void and unenforceable, unless made by certain exempt persons such as banks, credit unions, and Department of Banking Small Loan Company licensees. However, Small Loan licensees can charge up to 36% annual percentage rate (APR).
How do I submit a complaint?
- The Department of Banking considers payday loan companies as unlicensed small loan lenders. Determine if the entity is licensed by the Department of Banking as a Small Loan Company using NMLS Consumer Access. Click on the NMLS Consumer Access button. See Instructions for Using NMLS Consumer Access.
- If the payday lender is not licensed by the Department of Banking, you may file a complaint with the Department of Banking. See below for the checklist of required information and documentation for the Department to pursue your complaint against a payday loan company.
- Refer to the following Checklist for complaint against payday lender: In order to pursue your complaint(s), please provide the following information and documentation about the payday loan company:
- A copy of the agreement you signed with the company, including description of services and fee agreement.
- The U.S. Postal Service mailing address of the company and the telephone number.
- Proof of your payment(s) to the company. For example copies of your both sides of canceled checks and/or bank statements showing withdrawals/payments to the company.
- A brief description of how and when you first learned of the company.
- If available, copy of your credit report to show any entries from the company.
- To order, visit annualcreditreport.com or call 1-877-322-8228. Do not contact the three nationwide credit reporting companies individually.
In addition to the Department of Banking, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau accepts complaints against a Payday Loan company. You may submit your complaint with the CFPB online or by calling the CFBP at (855) 411-2372.
- File a Small Loan Company Complaint
Telephone Direct: 860-240-8170
Toll-free: 1-800-831-7225, ext. 8170
Foreclosure Assistance Hotline: 1-877-472-8313
By Email: email@example.com
This is an unsecured e-mail address for general questions. Please do not include personal identifying information such as Social Security and/or account numbers, birth date, user ID, or passwords using this unsecured e-mail address. To send a Secure Message log into the Online Assistance Form.