In accordance with Governor Lamont's emergency declaration, employees and the public are asked to observe social distancing measures to ensure communal safety and to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). People are asked to work from home and telecommute wherever possible. Adhering to these instructions, the Department of Banking has closed its offices to the public. However, agency staff will continue to provide services to consumers and industry through telework. When contacting the Department, please use electronic communication whenever possible. Agency staff will continue to check voicemails during this time. Consumers are encouraged to use our online form for complaints. If you are unsure where to send an inquiry, you may send it to and it will be routed appropriately. Thank you for your patience during this time.

File a Money Transmitter Complaint

How do I submit a complaint?
  1. Attempt to resolve the dispute by contacting the money transmitter that sent your transfer.  You should have your personal identification and receipt when you meet with the agent to report any errors.  Request a transmission report to help you learn what went wrong.
  2. If your dispute cannot be resolved directly with the money transmitter, determine whether the money transmitter is licensed by the Department of Banking (DOB).  Attempt to resolve the dispute by using the NMLS Consumer Access information to obtain contact information about the company to resolve your dispute. This website allows consumers to view information concerning Money Transmitters. Click on the NMLS Consumer Access button. See Instructions for Using NMLS Consumer Access.
  3. If the money transmitter you worked with is not listed in NMLS, it is considered an unlicensed money transmitter. The DOB pursues complaints against unlicensed companies that are conducting money transmission activities for a fee to Connecticut residents.  Go to Step 6.
  4. Determine if you need to file a complaint with the Department of Banking and/or the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). In addition to the DOB, the CFPB supervises the large money transmitter companies (for example, Western Union, MoneyGram, and PayPal).
  5. Your receipt may instruct you to contact the CFPB if you have a complaint.  You may also submit your complaint with the CFPB online or by calling the CFBP at (855) 411-2372. 

Online Customer Assistance Form

Helpful Resources

Telephone Direct: 860-240-8170
Toll-free: 1-800-831-7225, press option 2
Foreclosure Assistance Hotline:  1-877-472-8313

By Email:

Please Note:

This is an unsecured e-mail address for general questions.  Please do not include personal identifying information such as Social Security and/or account numbers, birth date, user ID, or passwords using this unsecured e-mail address.  To send a Secure Message log into the Online Assistance Form.