Maternity Bundle Status Update
The Maternity Bundle Team is currently waiting for approvals to pursue contracts with consultants who will help in project management, design and construction of the bundle. The team will extend formal invitation to potential members of the Maternity Bundle Stakeholder Advisory Council in the very near future. We will provide additional updates as we make progress in the maternity bundle work. If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact Fatmata Williams at Fatmata.firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Connecticut Department of Social Services (DSS) plans to shift to paying for maternity care in HUSKY using a bundled payment, rather than paying fee-for-service. This plan to adopt a maternity bundle is part of DSS’ overarching goal to move toward paying for equitable care in a value-based way.
Equity is the driving force behind the HUSKY maternity bundle
HUSKY has a strong commitment to remedying historical disparities in maternity care. As such, equity is at the center of HUSKY’s work on developing the maternity bundle.
To promote health equity through the maternity bundle, HUSKY will:
- Address and remedy disparities of access, utilization and outcomes for pregnant women
- Place particular emphasis on women of color, women with substance use disorders, and women with a high social vulnerability index as these are the women disproportionately affected by health disparities
- Center the lived experiences of HUSKY members in the way we design and implement the maternity bundle
- Include bundle elements that promote equitable access to care and supports (e.g., doulas, breastfeeding supports)
- Examine all services through the lens of race and ethnicity to ensure we are working to close health equity gaps