The Connecticut WIC Program completed statewide implementation of the eWIC process June 2016.
For the participants, the new eWIC card offers the following:
- A safer, easier and more convenient way for participants to shop for food.
- All members of the same household on WIC have their benefits on one card.
- Similar to a debit/credit card with a magnetic strip.
- Reduction in errors in choosing WIC approved foods.
- The family can buy their foods when they need them.
- The cash register/EBT system checks the participant's available food prescription balance right then.
The same card is used at each appointment.
More time talking about the family’s health.
The new food package is automatically added to the eWIC card.
For Retailers, the change to eWIC:
Reduces the amount of time that is spent on a WIC sale per family.
Improves processing of WIC benefits
Reduces confusion on which foods items are authorized for purchase.
The APL is the approved product listing that contains ALL WIC approved products allowed to be purchased.