To protect the health and safety of the public and our employees, the Department of Banking has limited the number of employees at our office at 260 Constitution Plaza in Hartford. When contacting the Department, please use electronic communication whenever possible. Consumers are encouraged to use our online form for complaints. If you are unsure where to send an inquiry, you may send it to and it will be routed appropriately. Thank you for your patience during this time.

Help for Homeowners

Lenders and companies that service mortgage loans are offering options to homeowners that are having trouble making loan payments due to the Coronavirus. You can find out about these options by calling your bank, credit union, or loan servicer that you make payments to, or by visiting their websites.

Many credit unions and banks do not sell their mortgages and choose to keep them local and on their own books. For these mortgages, please be sure to call your credit union or bank for more information.

The majority of mortgage loans in the state are owned by Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac or guaranteed by FHA, which are entities sponsored by the U.S. government. All these entities have options for homeowners impacted by the Coronavirus.

Fannie Mae:
Freddie Mac:

A borrower can find out if their loan is guaranteed by FHA by calling their lender.  If a borrower’s loan is guaranteed by FHA, information on how to find help can be found on the HUD website.

Connecticut Mortgage Relief and Foreclosure Prevention Programs:


The Connecticut Housing Finance Authority (CHFA) administers a new program - MyHomeCT - which provides grant assistance to homeowners who have experienced difficulty meeting their mortgage obligations or other housing costs due to a COVID-19-related financial hardship. For homeowners who meet the eligibility requirements, this assistance may include bringing a mortgage current or making future mortgage payments.  

Emergency Mortgage Assistance Program (EMAP)

The State of Connecticut, through the Connecticut Housing Finance Authority, also offers the Emergency Mortgage Assistance Program (EMAP) for homeowners facing financial hardship. 

Help for Renters

If you rent your home and your landlord has a loan from Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac, you may be eligible for programs that provide relief to renters affected by Coronavirus. Find out more about Fannie Mae’s program for renters and Freddie Mac’s program. Ask your landlord if they participate in these programs. If not, ask your landlord if they participate in any other Coronavirus relief program for landlords and renters.

Emergency Rental Assistance for Connecticut's Economy - UniteCT

Acting through the Department of Housing (DOH), the State of Connecticut is operating the UniteCT program.  This $235 million program will provide rental and utility payment assistance to qualified Connecticut households financially impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.   For program details and application information go the DOH website or call 1-844-UniteCT (1-844-864-8328).

See also CT COVID-19 Response:  Homeowners and Renters

Protecting your Finances

Banks: To find out more about the safety of your deposits with a federally insured bank, you can visit the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation’s resource page for consumers.

Credit Unions: To find out more about the safety of your credit union deposits, please visit the National Credit Union Administration.

Both: Statement by Connecticut’s Banking Commissioner on the safety of Connecticut banks.

For useful tips on protecting your finances during the Coronavirus pandemic visit the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

Consumers should be on the lookout for potential scams related to the Coronavirus. You can learn how to identify and respond to possible scams from the Federal Trade Commission.