DEEP is continuing to carry out its mission and provide services while keeping both the public and our workforce safe during the COVID-19 pandemic. Click here for the latest updates on DEEP's response to COVID-19. DEEP COVID-19 Response

Termite and Wood Destroying Organisms Specialists

Certification Requirements
Areas to Study
Certification Requirements

All professional termite and wood destroying organisms specialists must be certified by the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection. An applicant for a termite control certificate is expected to possess a working knowledge of the operations performed by a commercial pesticide applicator and the reasons for performing them.  Outlined below are areas in which an applicant should be proficient:  

Areas to Study


Diagnosis is of primary importance and an applicant should:

    1. be able to identify all common wood destroying organisms found in the region to include:

Common Wood Destroying Organisms
Carpenter ant
Carpenter bee
Damp wood termites   
Dry rot fungi
Dry wood termites   
Old house borer
Powder post beetles 
Subterranean termites  
Wharf borer
    1. know the biology and habits of the species listed;
    2. recognize evidence of infestation, such as damage, droppings, cast skins and trails; and 
    3. be aware of conditions such as moisture, and wood/soil contact which favor infestation.
Having determined the needs of a given situation, the applicant should be able to prescribe and apply the proper treatment.  This requires a knowledge of:
    1. whether or not pesticides should be applied;
    2. the registered pesticides to be used and their properties, such as effectiveness against certain pests and their toxicity to man and other warm blooded animals.  These pesticides should include, but not be limited to: 
Pesticide Common Name Trade Name
Bifenthrin Talstar
Borates Bora-care, Timbor
Chlorfenapyr Phantom
Cypermethrin Demon, Cynoff
Fipronil Termidor
Imidacloprid Premise
Permethrin Torpedo, Dragnet
Termite Baiting Systems Sentricon, First-line
    1. the dosages and timing involved;
    2. how the pesticides are to be mixed;
    3. the calibration of equipment;
    4. methods of application and various types of equipment;
    5. the proper storage and transportation of pesticides; and 
    6. state and federal pesticide laws and regulations.
The applicant should know:
    1. Basic safety and handling rules for pesticide use.
    2. How and when to use common types of protective equipment.
    3. Early signs and symptoms of pesticide poisoning.
    4. First aid which can be used in the event of pesticide poisoning.
    5. Precautions to be taken to protect workers, the public and the environment.
    6. The proper disposal of pesticide containers and surplus pesticides.

Permitted Activities

Outlined below are responses to some questions which have arisen concerning what activities are permitted with the indoor (general pest) and outdoor (custom ground) certificates.

  1. Generally, any spraying indoors belongs with the indoor certificate.
  2. Spraying outdoors with an indoor certificate would be permitted in situations such as:
    1. For termite or rat control if the certificate holder holds a termite or rodent license.
    2. For control of indoor pests that enter from the outside, such as clover mites or earwigs, on the outside foundation of the house and on grass in the immediate vicinity of the foundation.
    3. For wasps if the nest is in the immediate vicinity of the house.
  3. Spraying outdoors with an indoor certificate would not be permitted for insects that are only casually a pest indoors. For example:
    1. if a heavy flight of aphids is bothersome to people on a porch, a holder of an indoor certificate would not be allowed to spray the plants in the yard from which the aphids came; or
    2. if wood roaches are coming to lights on a porch, a holder of an indoor certificate  would not be allowed to treat outside areas.
  4. An outdoor cerificate holder could also:
    1. treat for clover mites or earwigs on the outside foundation of the house, but not within the house;
    2. treat for ticks outdoors;
    3. manange Canada geese on the lawn using general use repellents; and 
    4. mange deer with repellents.
  5. Chlorpyrifos (Dursban) has been be phased out. December 31, 2001 was the last sale date of the product. However, any existing stocks can be used up after that date.
  6. Diazinon has also be phased out. The last sale date of Diazinon used for indoor was December 31, 2002 and the last sale date of Diazinon for outdoors use was December 31, 2003. Syngenta began a product recovery program in 2004 for Diazinon.

  1. Required and Additional Study Materials for Pesticide Supervisors

  2. Scientific Guide to Pest Control Operations - Fourth Edition
    Available from: Continuing Education Business Office, Room 110, Stewart Center, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907

  3. Pesticide Applicator Training Manual - Industrial, Institutional, Structural and Health, Subcategory - Termites
    Available from: Cornell University Cooperative Extension

  4. Handbook of Pest Control by Arnold Mallis
    Available from:  Franzak and Foster Company, Cleveland, OH 44143

  5. Subterranean Termites - Their Prevention and Control in Buildings, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Home and Garden Bulletin No. 64
    Available from: Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402

  6. Control of Wood Destroying Beetles in Buildings and Furniture, U.S. Department of Agriculture Leaflet No. 558
    Available from: Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402

  7. Additional for Termite Control:  F.H.A. Regulations
    Available from: District Federal Housing Administration

  8. Common Sense Pest Control (Least Toxic Solutions for Your Home, Garden, Pets and Community by William and Helga Olkowski and Sheila Daar.  The Taunton Press, 1991.  (This book is currently available at Barnes and Noble bookstores or can be ordered for you by other bookstores.  Your local library may have a copy.)

  9. Approved Reference Procedures for Subterranean Termite Control by the Wood Destroying Organisms Committee, National Pest Control Association, Inc.
    Available from: National Pest Control Association, 8100 Oak Street, Dunn Loring, VA 22027

  10. Dursban TC Resource Manual
    Available from:  The Dow Chemical Company, Agricultural Products Department, 9008 Building, Midland, MI 48640, Attention:  Dursban TC Product Manager

For more information, please contact or call the Pesticide Management Program at (860) 424-3369 or write to:

Department of Energy and Environmental Protection
Bureau of Materials Management and Compliance Assurance
Pesticide Management Program
79 Elm Street
Hartford, CT 06106-5127

Top | Pesticide Certification

Content Last Updated on October 16, 2013