If you plan to conduct activities that may impact the state's natural resources and environment, then you may need one or more environmental permits from the DEEP.
In addition to individual permits and licenses, the CT DEEP has developed several expedited and short processes to facilitate the permitting of minor activities in its major permit programs. These processes include general permits and permit by rule, Certificates of Permission (COP), and temporary and emergency authorizations.
The department has prepared a series of fact sheets describing each of its permit programs to help permit applicants and others understand the environmental permitting process. The information is designed to answer general questions and provide basic information. You should refer to the appropriate statutes and regulations for the specific regulatory language of the different permit programs.
If you have any questions or need further help, please feel free to contact any of the department's programs or the Office of Planning and Program Development (OPPD) at DEEP.OPPD@ct.gov.
- Access Pre-Application Assistance from DEEP
- Download Pre-Application Guidance Document | Word Fillable Form
- Download Pre-Application Questionnaire | Word Fillable Form
- Apply for Individual Permits
- Apply for General Permits & Permit by Rule
- Explore Permit Assistance & Client Concierge Services
- Short Permit Processes
Environmental Permitting Fact Sheets
- Connecticut Environmental Policy Act
- Farm-Based Anaerobic Digesters
- General Permits
- Individual Permit Programs
- Information for Offshore Wind Developers
- Information for Solar Developers
- License Transfer
- Other Environmental Programs
Including: Property Transfer; Licensed Environmental Professional; Underground Storage Tank (Non-Residential); and Urban Sites/Remedial Action
- Pollution Prevention
- Public Participation
- The Environmental Justice Movement
- Environmental Assistance & Outreach