Social Worker Licensing Requirements for Foreign Trained Applicants


Before applying for licensure, please familiarize yourself with the general licensing policies.


Applicants educated outside of the United States may be eligible for licensure provided the Council on Social Work Education's (CSWE) International Social Work Degree Recognition and Evaluation Service has deemed the applicant's educational preparation equivalent to an educational program completed in the United States and the applicant has: 


Successfully completed three thousand (3,000) hours of post-master's social work experience, including not less than one hundred (100) hours of work experience under professional supervision by a licensed clinical or certified independent social worker;


Successfully completed the Clinical Level Examination of the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB).


Documentation Requirements


Applicants must arrange for the submission directly to this office of the following documentation:


A transcript of verifying the award of a doctorate or master's degree from the applicant's social work program and, if trained outside of the United States, an equivalency report submitted to this office from the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE);


A license verification form sent directly from each state licensing authority where a license is or has ever been held.  Please contact the jurisdiction as some may charge a fee for this service;


Verification of employment form documenting completion of 3,000 hours post-master's work experience;


Verification of supervision form documenting completion of at least 100 hours of work experience under the supervision of a licensed clinical or certified independent social worker;


A report of successful completion of the Clinical Level Examination (ASWB);


A completed application and fee in the amount of $315.00.  Applications are only accepted online.  Please select this link to apply online.


Examination Registration Procedure


Applicants who need to sit for the examination will be notified by the Department regarding eligibility and will be provided with information on how to register for the examination once all required documentation has been received and reviewed.


The Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Candidate Handbook contains information on the examination, registration, admission to the examination and ADA accommodations.


If the applicant uses English as a Second Language (ESL) and requires special accommodation for the examination should complete the request form, have it notarized and submit it with the completed Connecticut licensing application.  Once an applicant has been determined eligible for examination, the Department will notify the applicant in writing and will notify the ASWB of the candidate’s approval. 


Any questions regarding the examination process and the examination fee may be addressed to ASWB.


All supporting documentation should be forwarded from the source to:


Connecticut Department of Public Health

Social Worker Licensure

410 Capitol Ave., MS #12 APP

P.O. Box 340308

Hartford, CT 06134

Phone: (860) 509-7603

Fax:  (860) 707-1980