Temporary Permit

IMPORTANT NOTE:  Passage of the master's level examination is suspended until January 1/2026.  There is no need to apply for a temporary permit prior to that date.

The Department may issue a temporary permit to an applicant for licensure as a master's level social worker who holds a master's degree from an accredited social work educational program but who has not yet taken the licensure examination.  Such temporary permit shall authorize the holder to practice as a master's level social worker under supervision.

The temporary permit shall be valid one year from the date of issuance and is not renewable. The fee for a temporary permit is $50. 
Applications are only accepted online.  Once you have logged in and verified your email address, please select 'Initial Application' at the bottom left portion of the screen and then expand the 'Public Health Practitioners' grouping.  Locate the 'Master's Level Social Worker' and select start.  Complete your application for licensure and then repeat and submit the application for 'Master's Level Social Worker - Temporary Permit'.
Documentation Requirements
As part of the online application process for the temporary permit, you will be required to upload a copy of your diploma or other document verifying that you received a degree in social work from an accredited university.  Such other documentation includes, but is not limited to, a transcript from the program documenting that a degree has been awarded or a letter from the university registrar or program director indicating that you completed the program and the date the degree was awarded.  The letter must be written after the date the degree was awarded.
Examination Approval

Applicants who wish to also be approved to sit for the ASWB examination must also submit an application for a full master's level social worker license online and arrange for the accredited program to send a transcript documenting the award of a master's in social work. 

In no case will the department approve an applicant for examination unless a full license application, fee and transcript have been received.

The transcript can be summitted as follows:

Connecticut Department of Public Health

Social Worker Licensure

410 Capitol Ave., MS #12 APP

P.O. Box 340308

Hartford, CT 06134

Fax:  (860) 707-1980